My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining Mark

Scoops

As an English mason I know it's not exactly York Rite but this seemed the most appropriate place.

Having decided to further my masonic career, this Tuesday I shall be advanced to the degree of Mark Master Mason in Ashlar Lodge #1090, Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons.

I'm really looking forward to what my father in law describes as the fun degree and a couple of the brethren I shall be joining have described as a tale of middle management and how to pass the buck. That last one really piqued my interest and I'm sure it will be really enlightening!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

MWS

A wonderful degree and a joy to perform. One of my favourites.
You'll have a blast! Enjoy the evening.

MarkR

Premium Member
As an English mason I know it's not exactly York Rite but this seemed the most appropriate place.

Having decided to further my masonic career, this Tuesday I shall be advanced to the degree of Mark Master Mason in Ashlar Lodge #1090, Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons.
The Mark Master degree is, in fact, a part of the York Rite in the USA. It is conferred in Royal Arch Chapters.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I can't speak for what the degree work is like in England, but here it is a not a "fun" degree. I don't get anything about middle management or passing the buck. The Mark Master degree, to me, is the best in all of Freemasonry. If the world lived up to the lessons it teaches - I can think of at least four - we'd be a lot better off.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I can't speak for what the degree work is like in England, but here it is a not a "fun" degree.
When I told the Brother to have "fun" with the Mark Master degree I simply meant for him to enjoy it. I meant no disrespect. The Mark Master degree, along with other degrees in the York Rite, are very near and dear to my heart.

Bloke

Premium Member
The Mark Master degree is, in fact, a part of the York Rite in the USA. It is conferred in Royal Arch Chapters.

Understood. Mark, you might be interested to hear that Victoria has its own Sovereign Body (Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons), just as Chapter does (Supreme Chapter). We also have 3 EC Lodges here, Craft, Combermere Lodge No. 752 www.combermere.org.au which also has a Mark and Chapter associated with it.

Scoops

Make sure to let us know how it went.
Wow, what a night! Certainly different experience to the Craft degrees.

The ceremony was entertaining, relaxed, friendly and edifying. I've plenty to get my teeth into absorbing the degree's teachings. At the festive board after there was much fellowship and I felt honoured to be sat between a Past Deputy Prov. GM (our WM) and two Past Prov. GMs, all thoroughly humble men who consider Masonry to be the hobby that it is, along with the other officers and brethren of the lodge.
I can't speak for what the degree work is like in England, but here it is a not a "fun" degree. I don't get anything about middle management or passing the buck. The Mark Master degree, to me, is the best in all of Freemasonry. If the world lived up to the lessons it teaches - I can think of at least four - we'd be a lot better off.
Obviously I can't speak for the degree as worked in the States but here it's very a much more relaxed and fun ceremony, indeed it's known as the "friendly" degree here. As to the themes I mentioned, even though they're not at all the key points of the degree, there is a clear element of them in the playlet that I had to take part in and they add to making the evening memorable.

MWS

Excellent! Thanks for the update. With everything else involved, I know you'd also have...fun!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Wow, what a night! Certainly different experience to the Craft degrees.

The ceremony was entertaining, relaxed, friendly and edifying. I've plenty to get my teeth into absorbing the degree's teachings. At the festive board after there was much fellowship and I felt honoured to be sat between a Past Deputy Prov. GM (our WM) and two Past Prov. GMs, all thoroughly humble men who consider Masonry to be the hobby that it is, along with the other officers and brethren of the lodge.Obviously I can't speak for the degree as worked in the States but here it's very a much more relaxed and fun ceremony, indeed it's known as the "friendly" degree here. As to the themes I mentioned, even though they're not at all the key points of the degree, there is a clear element of them in the playlet that I had to take part in and they add to making the evening memorable.

Which Mark Lodge?