My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining shrine

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
It was brought up in a conversation that the shrine in my jurisdiction was excepting applications I am interested in joining although I have yet to venture out from the blue house , I plan on going YR so my question is should I wait until I go through my YR degrees or go ahead and go straight to shrine and come back and get the YR degrees??

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
My suggestion to you is this... Go for your York Rite degrees, if that is something that you desire to do. The YR is very closely tied to the ritual that you learned in your home Lodge, and will continue the core lessons leaned during your initial degrees. YR can be very active, and as involved as your Lodge and may tax your available time. As far as ritualistic Masonry is concerned, I gained more knowledge from YR than I have ever done in the Shrine. In my jurisdiction, the Shrine used to require that members be both Master Masons and either York Rite or Scottish Rite Masons. It was only recently that the secondary requirement was waivered so that being a Master Mason is the only prerequisite.

The Shrine is extremely busy in most jurisdictions, and a lot of Brethren will spend a majority of their time engrossed in Shrine activities. The big perk of the Shrine lifestyle is that it can be very involved with family activities.

Of course, this is simply my own opinion of your question. I am sure that other Brethren reading this thread will offer their own individual views. No matter what you do, enjoy it!

Rifleman1776

It is a matter of choice. York Rite and Shrine are not incompatible. Shrine has been a big part of my life for over 30 years, as has Blue Lodge. I would never wish to give up either although, in Arkansas, I was almost forced to make that choice. If your time allows, do both. You won't regret it.

Reactions: MBC