Junior Warden North or South?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by hwood, May 24, 2017.

1. hwood

hwood Registered User

I've seen photos and layouts of lodge rooms where the Junior Warden was in the North not in the South. I thought this was weird because, here in Pennsylvania the Junior Warden is in the South. I haven't seen freemasonry outside of Pennsylvania.
    Is this common in different countries or even here in the states?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

2. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

No idea....South here though....

3. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Never encountered that before. If you can track down some of these "photos and layouts" I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see them.

4. RayverInColorado

RayverInColorado Registered User

South in Colorado

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry

5. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

In some jurisdictions the Chaplain sits in the N, in AZ the IPM sits there

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

6. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

I believe that Junior Warden should always be sitting in the South because he needs to observe the meridian
    Unless it's in Southern Hemisphere, but as Bloke said, the Australian masons located their JWs in the South as we do

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

7. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

I wonder if the picture was printed reversed. I've never heard of the JW sitting in the north.

Bill Lins and Blake Bowden like this.
  8. hwood

hwood Registered User

I may have been misinformed about the pictures. There are more likely Knights of Pythias or a Oddfellow's Lodge room. I'm not too familiar with either one of them orders. But from my research that's as close as I can find.

9. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

Or he can be in the West as is done in a few other rites :)

10. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

photos in open lodge bothers me on some level.

having said that, it could be a couple of things.

The picture was taken from the East looking West. How many steps were under the chair of what you thought was the East?

the image was most likely mirrored. Is there any text in the picture? Maybe a backwards G above the East?

Best way to tell would be to look at the altar in the pic. three things would be arranged incorrectly.

11. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Never encountered the JW sitting anywhere but the south.
    I have seen this in other lodges in my jurisdiction.

Thomas Stright likes this.
  12. hwood

hwood Registered User

I went back and looked at the pictures and thinking you might be right.But the G is the East facing the right way over the (WM) there is an Eastern star symbol over the West over the (SW). But even the secretary's desk was on the wrong side of the room it's where the chaplain normally sits. V.S.L. It's close on the altar. I would love to put the pictures on here but there are people walking around in the lodge and I don't know who they are.I do know the lodges in Oregon.

13. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Is the G on a string or wall ( sounds like later) if on string, it may have moved ( I take a lot of photos and sponsors G on string and wait for it to be in the correct spot, but sometimes I get impatient and just take the photograph)

14. Ripcord22A

I'm an Oregon member out of Klamath Falls. On our lodge layouts, it shows the Chaplain in the N. However in practice he sits west of the alter on the north side of the lodge. Please PM those photos

15. Matt L

Matt L Site Benefactor

1. If every lodge is a representation of King Solomon's Temple, the north is a place of darkness.

hwood likes this.
  16. hwood

hwood Registered User

[​IMG]

I think you may be right. But like I said earlier, I've never seen freemasonry outside of Pennsylvania and I'm pretty new to this.

Bloke likes this.
  17. Ripcord22A

That's not Oregon. In Oregon the light tapers(lesser lights) must be around the alter NE, NW AND SW

18. Ripcord22A

That G is in the middle of the room and in Oregon is over the WM. Also the alter is supposed to be in the middle with the VSL & S&C rightside up as viewed from the W

19. Ripcord22A

Capture%2B_2017-05-26-08-56-39.png
    What i circled on there is the working tool...its a lvl....this is looking West

MarkR likes this.
  20. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

This is one of these notable differences.

In my lodge, the Junior Warden is in the North and the pillar has a B.
    Another lodge that uses the same place, has the B on the other pillar, but the JW in the North as well. Therefor the password for the first two degrees are the other way around than with us. (J for EA and B for FC.)
    In both cases the Warden has to oversee the "column" (the bench where people with no function take place) on the same side (looking or walking alongside people), but in other lodges on the opposite side (S for the JW), which makes it easier to see if everybody has the sign right.

MBC likes this.

Share My Freemasonry