Just curious...

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by drmrboi927, Jun 5, 2016.

1. drmrboi927

drmrboi927 Registered User

Before I got raised and not too long after, a Brother said you're going to see and hear things that you may not like but don't get discouraged or lose focus.
    My question for you all is what have you seen or experienced that may have made you "uncomfortable" or almost "lose focus"?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

2. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

What you ask is unanswerable without context.

For example, in my own case, the thing that makes me most uncomfortable about Masonry is when I'm served a plate with my different foods touching.

3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

One of the local lodges has a couple of brethren that work as a team to try to change the lodge to fit with their own rather narrow view of Masonry. They are easily offended and do not seem to notice when other brethren are offended by their heavy-handed and transparent attempted takeovers. Fortunately they only make an assault every year or so and we do not see them at other times.

5. ChristopherNance

ChristopherNance Registered User

I find it discouraging when a veteran member of the lodge takes it upon himself to voice his opinions and viewpoints, interrupting brethren and talking over them. There seems to be a couple in every lodge that think that all ideas must agree with theirs.

Sent from my SM-S975L using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

6. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

So far......nothing.

dfreybur and rayzer13 like this.
  7. drmrboi927

drmrboi927 Registered User

Thanks. I think I get an idea of what I could possibly run into.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

8. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

I'm glad you do because to the original question, I'm still not sure exactly what you're talking about..

Bill Lins likes this.
  9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Sounds to me like the Brother telling you that was enough of a fundie that he wonders why he's among us. Very much his issue not yours.

That or he meant that some of the Brothers take our rules against talking religion or politics in our "meetings" as only applying to tiled meetings so you'll hear inappropriate comments at the meals.

One of the pieces of wisdom taught to me by Dad - "God gave us two ears and a noodle. One ear for in, one ear for out. The noodle is to decide what sticks in the middle."

Some portion of the stuff I hear at lodge meals I let it flow in one ear and out the other.

10. Jason A. Mitchell

Jason A. Mitchell Premium Member

In no particular order

• Masons believing Mackey
    • Masons not believing Gould, Carr, and Knoop
    • Masons mistaking legends and myths as Fact, or put more simply Masons not believing Jay Kinney
    • Masons putting all the right books on their shelves, but not putting all the right books in their heads
    • Masons misconstruing education and esoteric with occult sciences
    • Masons monetizing the Craft for personal benefit
    • Masons blogging purely for Masonic fame and recognition

11. Jason A. Mitchell

Oh and Masons not reading Nobly Born and the Compasses and Cross by Stephen Dafoe.

12. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

13. JamestheJust

If only we had a Masonic Science we would be able to move beyond belief and disbelief.

14. Jason A. Mitchell

Oh man, you're missing the good stuff.

In the US alone we've got the talents of Bullock, B. Jones, Kendall, Vaughan, J.F. Newton, MacNulty, Coil, de Hoyos, Morris, Davis, Kinney, Normand, and Hutchins and yet every gives all the love to Mackey.

And then, once you leave the US you get Knoop, Jones, Gould, Hammer, Carr, Mollier, ACF Jackson, Churton, Stevenson, Hamill, and more...

Mackey is good, so you know what everyone in the US took as truth, when it was anything but.

15. Jason A. Mitchell

Nice play on words, but whereas Masonry is a system of morality, that is to say, Masonry deals in the realms immeasurable by science and indeed science won't measure belief and disbelief are essential to our art.

16. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Jason, when did Brother Hammer expatriate?

17. Jason A. Mitchell

Wrong Hammer. I'm referring to Douglas Hammer, the masonic researcher. Not Andrew Hammer.

Brother JC likes this.
  18. JamestheJust

"The definition of Freemasonry that it is "a science of morality, veiled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols,"
    has been so often quoted, that, were it not for its beauty, it would become wearisome. But this definition
    contains the exact principle that has just been enunciated. Freemasonry is a science..."

The Symbolism of Freemasonry, by Albert G. Mackey page 4.

These days it is all too hard for Grand Lodges, what with the loss of the genuine secrets.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  19. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Greetings, Mr.James!
    It's a lil bit strange, IMHO, that you're confusing the definition.
    It's written: "Science of morality". Morality. Morality is related with -- good/evil, human behavior, spirituality, etc. Shortly -- soul. We are not -- "Robots", Mr.James! The word "science" is wrong word to define Freemasonry, IMHO! Do you mean that Freemasonry is "Natural" Science? Definitely -- no. It's wrong. "Social" Science? Maybe. But, that means that: if it's social, it's kinda "theory". It may be "false". Without strict "proofs". Can Freemasonry "be wrong"?

Jason A. Mitchell likes this.
  20. JamestheJust

The Kabbalah is an example of a moral science - a reproducible technique for altering the consciousness and behavior of various intelligences.

Neurolinguistic Programming is another more limited example.

Feng Shui is yet another example.

Share My Freemasonry