My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Venting.

Keith C

How so, are not petitioners required to ask if there own free will and accord?

While it is okay to talk freely about how we may think someone would be a good fit for the fraternity we are forbidden to solicit members, if we do that it would not be of their own accord.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

That depends on your jurisdiction. In PA we are permitted to invite men of good character to petition.

From the Grand Lodge of PA Website:
Our tradition was to wait for you to seek membership entirely of your own free will and accord. Today, however, we allow our members to selectively invite men of good character, who will be a credit to our Fraternity. But this doesn’t mean that you have to wait to be invited to join the Freemasons of Pennsylvania. Your interest is enough, if you meet the qualifications.

Even if you are invited it is still of "your own free will and accord" to petition. No one will force you to sign.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member

While it is okay to talk freely about how we may think someone would be a good fit for the fraternity we are forbidden to solicit members, if we do that it would not be of their own accord.
Oops! My Bad! When I read his "Why would you petition anyone to become a Mason. They are the ones that need to ask...." I took the "They" to be fellow Masons.

Fixed!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

I'm not sure the individual meant his jurisdiction allows solicitation. I think it may have been some poor wording. However,
some jurisdictions do allow solicitation. UGLE: there is no objection to a neutrally worded approach being made to a man who could be considered a suitable candidate for Freemasonry. There can be no objection to his being reminded, once, that the approach was made. Information for the Guidance of Members of the Craft, 2013, page 36.

Utah: The definition of improper solicitation of a potential candidate is any proposal by a Mason that involves coercion or implied negative retaliation of any kind. 2012 Proceedings Page 39.

Minnesota rule:

Proper solicitation shall consist of the following: A man of sterling qualities may be approached and informed, but only once. He must be

left to make his own decision. He should not be badgered

The current understanding in CA is that a mason could tell someone that they think that they would be a good mason. After that if asked the mason may provide more information.

TX allows a neutrally worded invitation

David Duke

Premium Member
Even if you are invited it is still of "your own free will and accord" to petition. No one will force you to sign.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app[/QUOTE]

Whoops forgot to enter the text. What I meant to say is that it would be of his own free will, however, it would not be of his own accord since it was not his original idea to petition. That being said if it is allowed in your jurisdiction SMIB.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

Whoops forgot to enter the text. What I meant to say is that it would be of his own free will, however, it would not be of his own accord since it was not his original idea to petition. That being said if it is allowed in your jurisdiction SMIB.

Umm, accord means to agree, not to initiate the concept.

David Duke

Premium Member
Umm, accord means to agree, not to initiate the concept.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on usage of the phrase I believe it should be interpreted as below found in the Oxford English Dictionary in particularly the one which says "voluntary or without outside intervention"

Phrases
in accord with
According to.
‘things didn't happen quite in accord with expectations’
More example sentencesSynonyms
of one's own accord

Voluntarily or without outside intervention.
‘he would not seek treatment of his own accord’
‘the rash may go away of its own accord’

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Voluntary does not prohibit intervention, only compulsion. The proposed examples all indicate agreement; lack of coercion. No, outside intervention is not the key.

an example : You will find similar words in an enlistment oath , but these words are still insufficient to vitiate the voluntariness of the agreement. Indeed, they demonstrate the voluntariness

Evidently, Texas accepts solicitation .

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
NM Code 308. SELECTIVE INVITATION.
Any Master Mason in good standing may invite a man he knows to be of good character and morals to join the fraternity if he qualifies under Codes 301, 302 and 303 above.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Hi Brian

I regret that you will not receive much light if you rely upon your brethren. The official reason for that is disclosed in the 3rd degree but that is just an excuse.

The real problem, in my experience, is that very few brethren attempt the work of the FC.
I would argue it is the Second Degree, more specifically, the MC lecture tells the Brother to never stop learning.

We have to remember that Masonry existed in a time where the Trivium (Grammar, Rhetoric and Logic) were the fundamental basics of an education. Anyone that went on to be a scholar had to be educated in the Quadrivium (Arithmetic, Geometry, Music and Astronomy).

Masonry has many different meanings to different people, but one core principle of Masonry is to never stop learning.

We are given the tools and instructions to prove ourselves master masons in open lodge. However, life experience and education never stops We are all Fellows of the Craft if you think about it in that way and manner.

edited: in my opinion. I will agree that the third does leave its mark and makes an impression.

Last edited:

acjohnson53

let me rephrase that, it's the Senior Deacon I was referring..... They approach me, I deemed worthy Brothers, I petition them, My results, 6 P.M., 2 33d, I find that a good reason to petition good Brpthers....

The Traveling Man

Sorry to hear that you dont feel you've received the Light yet, but that will change. I wont give you any suggested books to read, as that list may differ by Jurisdiction, but I'll suggest reading North East Corner part 2 for the FC degree. Nothing is given in Masonry, you must A.S.K. If you dont feel things are moving in Lodge, change it. Start speaking up and bringing in ideas.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Ah, the SD...

The Senior Deacon is the first true test to see if that brother is ready to hold an elected chair in the line. He is 7th in seniority, but only 3 years out of the East.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Ah, the SD...

The Senior Deacon is the first true test to see if that brother is ready to hold an elected chair in the line. He is 7th in seniority, but only 3 years out of the East.
I was placed in this chair four months after being raised! Talk about having to play catch up, lol.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I was placed in this chair four months after being raised! Talk about having to play catch up, lol.
I don't know how you do it beyond opening and closing. I hope they hold off on degree work for several months so you can study. Do they hold you back until you get comfortable or are you nominated for the South the following year?

My lodge is lucky in the fact that we've never had a repeat master since being chartered in 1881. It takes roughly 6 to 8 years to get to the east in my lodge depending on whomever drops, if anyone drops. We always have people wanting to get in line. None of whom are past masters.

I could not imagine starting in that chair and running the Lodge in 3 years.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I don't know how you do it beyond opening and closing. I hope they hold off on degree work for several months so you can study. Do they hold you back until you get comfortable or are you nominated for the South the following year?
I held the position for the full year and did a LOT of practice. The Past Masters in my mother lodge were very helpful in drilling the knowledge into me for both SD and JW. By the time that my year was up as SD I was ready to take my place in the south. This past December I was installed as SW.