Kilt in a Grand Lodge of Scotland's Lodge

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by TheThumbPuppy, Dec 19, 2019.

1. TheThumbPuppy

TheThumbPuppy Registered User

I've recently visited a Lodge under the supervision of the Grand Lodge of Scotland for their annual open day.

The Worshipful Master was wearing a kilt.

Is that something that happens in every Lodge within the Grand Lodge of Scotland of just a personal choice for the annual event?

2. David612

David612 Registered User

While I can’t speak directly to the Scottish jurisdiction, here in my jurisdiction Australia there are kilts to be spotted, well er tartaned?

Bloke likes this.
  3. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

I'd wear one if I had one...

4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

In my Scottish lodge in Australia, the English-derived GL does not permit us to wear kilts but some brethren do it anyway. The GL rationale is that all officers should be dressed the same. Fortunately GL officers rarely visit.

TheThumbPuppy likes this.
  5. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Some do. Some don’t.

6. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

Wearing kilts is certainly allowed, as is the wearing of 'trews' (tartan dress pants). Usually, if wearing a kilt it is with full highland dress. This, of course, is optional.

The Grand Lodge of Scotland has its own tartan, which any member can wear. (It also has its own scotch whiskey!)

7. Number4

Number4 Registered User

I asked an old Scotsman once what was worn under the kilt. He replied with a tear in his eye "everything, laddie"

Seriously, it is the WM's call as to lodge attire e.g my home lodge is smart/casual coat & tie for officers at degree work and stated communications, while the next lodge in our district mandates black tuxedos for all officers and another nearby has white......

8. John Musselwhite

John Musselwhite Premium Member

I was at a Lodge installation at King George Lodge here in Calgary and a lot of the members were wearing full Highland dress kilts in their Lodge tartans. Very sharp!

9. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

Please go on.... Name? :)

10. John Musselwhite

John Musselwhite Premium Member

I think it's Grand Master's Mason's Choice.

There are a number of Masonic whiskeys including Old Masters (not my favourite) and Johnny Walker Freemason Blue Label Limited Edition.

BroJohn

11. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

12. Mark Stockdale

Mark Stockdale Premium Member

Kilts are often seen in Scottish lodges, but more for the formal or special occasions, such as installations, where you will generally see a mix of kilts and trews being worn by brethren. It is always a full dress option though, normally with a Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat, white dress shirt and a bow tie.

13. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

Information about the 'Official' Grand Lodge of Scotland Scotches can be found on their web site.

https://www.grandlodgescotland.com/product-category/spirits/

I have tasted the single malt and found it quite pleasant.

Share My Freemasonry