My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KT Regalia in Texas

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Why does the Knight Templar regalia look nothing like, well, a Knight Templar? It looks like I was going to Church, hit an ostrich, picked up a sword and walla! Just imagine what a REAL Knight Templar would say if they saw our regalia? Why can't it be simple like this....

336px-Templar_induction_2009_3.jpg
632549_f260.jpg

I enjoyed going through the York Rite, but I haven't been back. Could it be possible that a lack of membership is due to the expense of such a ridiculous looking outfit?

yorkrite.jpg

Last edited:

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
The Templar Uniforms: http://www.travelingtemplar.com/2012/01/templar-uniforms.html

After the Civil War though, would come an age where many fraternal organizations (not just the Masonic one) would flourish as well as the regalia companies who supplied them. After the war we see the Templar uniform updated into something more acceptable for the Victorian Age (ca. 1837 - 1901) where we see it go from a simplistic design to a black frock coat (similar to the Civil War-era uniforms), a feathered (naval style) chapeau, a sword & scabbard, and for some time a black triangular apron (no longer used by the Grand Encampment*).​

JJones

Commandries have the option of going cap and mantle here in Texas, I think they're still expected to have those silly costumes for inspection though.

I'd prefer just having the option of wearing the old black, triangular aprons myself.

otherstar

I agree. The Knights of Columbus 4th Degree Regalia is just a little better (still has the goofy hat though)
cape.jpg

The cape, sword, and chapeau are not always required either:
images

I might have stayed with the York Rite had the regalia been cheaper. The base part of the KofC 4th Degree regalia is a plain black tuxedo, so it's not dedicated for just KofC functions. (I'm a 4th Degree Knight and a Mason...but I'm not an active KofC anymore for a variety of reasons).

It would make much more sense if the KT would update their uniform to something a little more dignified.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
A tuxedo and sash... Yes! That is what I've rallied for for a number of years now. We are draped with a beautiful sash (a striking breast jewel attached) and never again wear it.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
I agree, I'd be more apt for the Cap & Mantle, but I'd like to go to a Tux, Sash (w/ sling underneath for sword), and Triangular apron. The Jacket & Chapeau can be impressive, but I think we need to adopt something different for both pricing and style.

otherstar

I agree, I'd be more apt for the Cap & Mantle, but I'd like to go to a Tux, Sash (w/ sling underneath for sword), and Triangular apron. The Jacket & Chapeau can be impressive, but I think we need to adopt something different for both pricing and style.

Why not use the sash/baldric as a sword sling? (that's what the KofC's do...have a separate sash/baldric for social wear)

Companion Joe

Premium Member
The problem with trying to get people onboard with updating the uniforms/getting rid of the chapeaus is that people have already bought all that stuff. It's a danged if you do, danged if you don't scenario.
New guy: "I don't want to buy all that stuff."
Old guy: "I've already bought mine, and I'm not buying something different."

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I leave my chapeau and sword/belt at the lodge. Everyone else transports theirs to/from home each month. When asked why I leave it there, I respond, "Exactly where else am I going to wear it?"

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I very much want to join the YR but was concerned when I heard of the cost of the regalia at the KT level and had all but given up the idea of joining. Luckily a brother at lodge and some on the forum informed me that I did not have to buy all of these things unless I wanted to be an officer. I think that the white cape in the first picture is great.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I very much want to join the YR but was concerned when I heard of the cost of the regalia at the KT level and had all but given up the idea of joining. Luckily a brother at lodge and some on the forum informed me that I did not have to buy all of these things unless I wanted to be an officer. I think that the white cape in the first picture is great.
You don't have to become a KT to join York Rite. There are three separate bodies.

Willaim Perkins

My proposal in the cap presently used with that mantle thing, a tunic, cape, and baldric. a considerable savings in cost and greater convince in transport.