LandMarks, use them or not?

Discussion in 'Masonic Jurisprudence' started by R. Jacques Johnson, May 18, 2016.

1. R. Jacques Johnson

R. Jacques Johnson Registered User

I personally believe in the 25 masonic landmarks and what they preserve. Does your Grand Lodge officially recognize the Landmarks. When you read them do they raise more questions than answers like they do for me?
    #1. Modes of Recognition.
    Really! Really? Is it just me or does this make you laugh? I have seen this vary from two lodges in the same district. I have seen differences in every state that I have belonged and the typical answer I usually receive is each state is slightly different but we are all the same. LOL.Really! Really? I just thought is was an interesting topic to discuss. What are you feelings about the landmarks? Be nice!

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

http://bessel.org/landmark.htm

Glen Cook likes this.
  3. coachn

4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

This is incorrect for NM, NM uses Mackeys Landmarks. In the higherarkey of NM it goes Constitution and Laws, Mackeys, Lodge By laws!

5. coachn

Awesome. You might want to notify the website.

6. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

The landmarks are the original unwritten rules of speculative Masonry. If your jurisdiction has a written list that doesn't mean that list is the actual unwritten rules. It means that the points on the list are accepted in that jurisdiction but they aren't to be taken as the entire unwritten list.

The stuff we learn at the altar is different in small details jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Most Brothers blur the motions so it's hard to tell. Find someone on the board that issues certificates to see the exact movements. Then find someone on the board in another state and compare. The differences will be subtle but real. Exact direction the feet are pointing. Straight line movements versus circular movements. Thumbs up or not at one point.

Except the second degree. The variation there is so large even the order of the movements is different. In Texas there's a point where I'm the only Brother in the room with one hand not up at one point unless I am very careful to do it the local order not the order I learned.

7. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

I just learned last month that the signs are done in a 4 count in NM.

8. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Yup. And you know how hard that makes it for me to do CA signs in a five-count?

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Arms moving at the same time versus arms moving together. It's a point easy to miss when you watch it happening, but it's not easy to do it other than the first way you learn. The CA five count is from the verbal instructions given to the candidate when conducted to the south after the obligation. The words are not in the ritual in Illinois the four-count state I know.

10. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Oh, I think most GLs recognize Landmarks. We just don't agree what they are.

11. Benjamin Baxter

Benjamin Baxter Moderator Staff Member

I just listened to a podcast on landmarks. Very interesting. The pod cast is x-oriente.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

R. Jacques Johnson likes this.
  12. Pete Ramboldt

Pete Ramboldt Registered User

Wisconsin does not recognize any of the landmarks. They do list them but they are not part of our constitution.

13. Glen Cook

Thanks. That would meet my definition of recognition vice adoption

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  14. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

LOL... not sure we agree within the jurisdiction beside being told to preserve them.... GL might have issued a proclamation, but I doubt it because they are debated by GL members, if they'd been proclaimed, someone would have the list in his pocket (on his smart phone)...

15. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

Coming from a totally different perspective I find the discussion about landmarks really interesting. In Sweden the landmarks are not mentioned at all. Some of them we have similarities to in our laws, and others are completely new to me.

When did the landmarks started to become important in the US? Who were the authors and in what context were they written?

16. Glen Cook

If you don't mention landmarks, how can you argue about them?

If you do an Internet search you can find articles.

17. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

So the main purpose of the Landmarks is to have something to argue about? :)

18. R. Jacques Johnson

R. Jacques Johnson Registered User

Simon, you are hilarious. I wish you were in my lodge. We would have fun together. What jurisdiction are you from?

19. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

Grand Lodge of Sweden. When I visit US I'd really like to visit a lodge and see how its done on your side of the atlantic!

20. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is my perception.

Share My Freemasonry