My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Law question

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
So what are the rules for raffles and social media. My law books needing some updates, so this question is for those who have the 8.5x11 books. Can you announce the raffle, what the prize is, and how it works on Facebook or other sites? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Is this a GLoTX question?

And if so why would the Grandlodge put restrictions on how you can spread the word about your raffle?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
So what are the rules for raffles and social media. My law books needing some updates, so this question is for those who have the 8.5x11 books. Can you announce the raffle, what the prize is, and how it works on Facebook or other sites? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

My understanding is that “social media” promotion or professional advertising that would extend into another Lodge’s area or footprint is out. You can advertise within your own membership boundaries, by newsletter etc.

Nothing prohibiting sales at an open vendor event, like a gun show or convention though.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Is this a GLoTX question?

And if so why would the Grandlodge put restrictions on how you can spread the word about your raffle?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

It is a GLoTX question.

It is designed to keep the Lodge’s from directly competing with each other for fundraising.

Bloke

Premium Member
Ah, here, was also have some Laws of State about raffles which we need to comply with. GL would be interested, as I am sure the members should be, if a Lodge was breaking the Law of the Land, especially is promoted on Social Media. As a general rule, we need a State Permit to conduct a raffle if the prize pool is over a certain level AND OR if the raffle will be open for an extended period or there are over a certain number of tickets.

Just because your lodge has been running a "monster raffle" for 10 years to save drowning orphans. don't assume it's been done legally - well intentioned ignorance will mitigate but not excuse. Likewise, be thoughtful if you run games of change at lodge to raise money, in such things you can fall foul of legislation. The intent is to stop gambling dens, not lodge fundraising for worthy causes, but it's worth being cognisant of, lest one day you hold a monster raffle to cure cancer, promo it in the press, and suddenly get the constabulary at your door.

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
My understanding is that “social media” promotion or professional advertising that would extend into another Lodge’s area or footprint is out. You can advertise within your own membership boundaries, by newsletter etc.

Nothing prohibiting sales at an open vendor event, like a gun show or convention though.

Wait so because a member of another lodge may follow ur lodge on FB you can't advertise? Do you not send fundraiser info to other lodges?

Bloke

Premium Member

Bro. Kurt P.M.

2018 14G DCO
Premium Member
REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS IN CONDUCTING RAFFLES UNDER THE PROVISION OF CHAPTER 2002, TEXAS OCCUPATIONS CODE

The minimum requirements for charitable raffles as set forth in Chapter 2002, Texas Occupations Code are:
1. There can only be two (2) raffles per year; a year is deemed to be from January 1 to December 31; and the raffles cannot overlap, i.e. you cannot sell raffle tickets for two raffles at the same time;
2. All proceeds from the sale of tickets must be spent for the charitable purpose of the organization;
3. There can be no paid advertising to promote the raffle, i.e. television, radio, or newspaper;
4. There can be no statewide raffles;
5. There can be no offers to sell tickets for a statewide raffle;
6. There can be no compensation to any person for directly or indirectly organizing or conducting a raffle or for selling or offering to sell tickets to a raffle;
7. Only members of the non- profit organization can sell raffle tickets;
8. Each raffle ticket must contain the name of the organization conducting the raffle; the address of the organization or of a named officer of the organization; the ticket price; and a general description of each prize having a value of more than $10.00.
9. A prize offered may not be money;
10. A prize may not exceed $50,000.00. A residential dwelling offered or awarded as a prize at a raffle that is purchased by the organization may not exceed $250,000.00;
11. A raffle prize may consist of one or more ticket in the state lottery with a face value of $50,000.00 or less, without regard to whether a prize in the lottery game to which the ticket or tickets relate exceeds $50,000.00;
12. A prize has to be in the possession of the organization, or the organization must post a bond with the county clerk of the county in which each raffle is to be held.

A violation of any of these provisions would constitute a violation of the Texas Penal Code, and authorize criminal penalties. As a corporation, the Grand Lodge of Texas could be assessed criminal penalties in the way of fines.

Grand Lodge Recommendations:
Lodges are recommended to adopt a non-profit purpose in a stated meeting for each raffle and record the purpose in the minutes; e.g., scholarships at a local school, contributions to youth organizations; community projects, etc. Lodge officers must ensure that all proceeds are spent for that purpose.

As the violations of the raffle statutes are penal in nature, they are regulated by the local County and District Attorneys. Lodges should advise these authorities of each raffle and its purpose.

Finally, task some member of the Lodge to supervise the sale of the raffle tickets and to ensure the specific requirements of the statute are met in regards to the sale of the tickets.