My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's Beat The Dead Horse One More Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ravickery03

With all of this talk about Lodge apperal, it made me wonder about something. In Army Lodge we generally have members that are active duty, and they sometimes show up in business casual, other times they show up in the ACU/ABU (Fatigues). The last Master Masons degree the FC's instructor had the degree team came out I was on Active Duty that Day (I'm a Captain in the Texas National Guard for those that don't know), and wore my ABUs.

I am wondering is it appropriate for me to wear my uniform in lodge? Granted Army #1105 was started by all active duty enlisted and officers, but I wonder if they actually showed up to lodge in the olive green uniforms or did they change?

I guess I am thinking about this because I have drill this weekend, and it occured to me today when I was taking a test. :)

Your thoughts would be appercaited.

-Bro Vick

Last edited by a moderator:

TexMass

Of course it's fine. If you were in camy's because you were going hunting right after lodge that would be different. You are dressed in military issue and a Masonic Lodge should never think they can trump that.

G

gortex6

It may be appropriate to the brothers in the lodge but it is not proper military etiquete. All active army posts have regulations that hinder soldiers from wearing BDUs/ACUs off post and in public when not on duty except under extreme circumstances, such as picking up a quart of milk from the store on your way home or picking up your kids at school. I remember getting my butt chewed for this on several occasions while active duty; as I am now an NCO in the Texas guard, I can tell you that there is no exception for us citizen soldiers, especially in a city with numerous active duty military posts. I have never been inside that beautiful army lodge but have driven past it on several occasions; just by observing the location and structure of the building, it appears that it was at one time on military reservation- now it is not. I would recommend not wearing ACUs for anything other than official business off post. If it were on post, that would be a different story, but only a PHA military lodge can experience that privilage at this moment.

R

ravickery03

It may be appropriate to the brothers in the lodge but it is not proper military etiquete. All active army posts have regulations that hinder soldiers from wearing BDUs/ACUs off post and in public when not on duty except under extreme circumstances, such as picking up a quart of milk from the store on your way home or picking up your kids at school.

Generally you can use common sense when factoring if it's appropriate to wear BDUs after duty hours, normally the rule is applied when a member is doing less than morally encouraging things, like bars, strip clubs, political rallies (of any kind), etc. But I have witnessed many men and women wearing their uniform coming directly from duty to church groups, PTA, Cub Scouts, etc. I would be hard pressed to believe that coming straight from duty hours to lodge is degrading the image of the military. If someone felt compelled to disagree then I would encourage them to bring the matter up with my commander.

Also Army Lodge the building itself was never on post, the post lines are the same now as they have always been, and the building itself never was on government property. The lodge did meet on post from 1916-1919 in the old gym, but moved to the Government Hill area shortly after that.

Thank you for your view point though; I will remember it next time I am faced with this issue.

G

gortex6

Generally you can use common sense when factoring if it's appropriate to wear BDUs after duty hours, normally the rule is applied when a member is doing less than morally encouraging things, like bars, strip clubs, political rallies (of any kind), etc.

In my experience, this rule applies to everywhere, even when going to Best Buy or paying a traffic ticket in court. Do not be seen in ACUs/BDUs off post; it is unprofessional and disrespectful to the CGs policy. I have had my butt chewed enough times to know better.

G

gortex6

Here are examples:

"(3) The BDU is inappropriate for official social functions off the installation, such as dinners, memorial services, and funerals.

(4) During the unrestricted periods exercise good judgment and do not wear BDUs in establishments with “Coat and Tie” dress requirements."
-Fort Drum Uniform Regulations

"The battle dress uniform (BDU) and the Army combat uniform (ACU) are field, utility, training, and combat
uniforms. BDUs and ACUs are not an all-purpose uniform, so Soldiers should normally wear the Class A or B green service uniform off post. "
-Fort Leavenworth Uniform Regulations

"Sub Paragraph 3–3. Occasions for wear
a. Soldiers may wear BDUs on duty when prescribed by the commander. Soldiers may wear BDUs off post unless
prohibited by the commander. They may not wear BDUs for commercial travel, unless authorized by para 1–10c of this
regulation. Personnel may not wear BDUs in establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the establishment sells
alcohol and food, soldiers may not wear utility uniforms if their activities in the establishment center on drinking
alcohol only.
b. Utility uniforms are not normally considered appropriate for social or official functions off the installation, such
as memorial services and funerals. These uniforms are issued as utility, field, training, or combat uniforms and are not
intended for wear as all-purpose uniforms when other uniforms are more appropriate."
-Army Regulation 670-1

Status
Not open for further replies.