My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge attendance

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
No, as in a small group of Brethren exerting overarching control and yes, preventing change. I have seen incredible men pushed from the line (and even the lodge) by “old silverbacks” who refuse to let go.

Bro. A

No, as in a small group of Brethren exerting overarching control and yes, preventing change. I have seen incredible men pushed from the line (and even the lodge) by “old silverbacks” who refuse to let go.

I completely understand that. They are set in their ways...

Bro. A

It is the intent of Freemasonry that members of Masonic Lodges should be actively engaged in Freemasonry. Historically, attendance at Masonic meetings and functions was mandatory, with fines paid for
The roadmap to make the Lodge experience better is actually pretty easy and has been mapped out by many Brothers and groups. have you looked at programming like the Masonic Restoration Foundation offers?
https://www.masonicrestorationfoundation.org/
It is the intent of Freemasonry that members of Masonic Lodges should be actively engaged in Freemasonry. Historically, attendance at Masonic meetings and functions was mandatory, with fines paid for absences not excused by the lodge. Active participation in the business and purposes of Masonry by a large majority of those who belong is essential to the growth and vitality of a lodge, and in carrying out its role in improving society.

I went to the Website you recommended...

CLewey44

It is the intent of Freemasonry that members of Masonic Lodges should be actively engaged in Freemasonry. Historically, attendance at Masonic meetings and functions was mandatory, with fines paid for

It is the intent of Freemasonry that members of Masonic Lodges should be actively engaged in Freemasonry. Historically, attendance at Masonic meetings and functions was mandatory, with fines paid for absences not excused by the lodge. Active participation in the business and purposes of Masonry by a large majority of those who belong is essential to the growth and vitality of a lodge, and in carrying out its role in improving society.

I went to the Website you recommended...

I'm down with this lol.

CLewey44

My Lodge requires a member to call the secretary before a meeting if you cannot attend with the reason. Excessive absenteeism can result in penalties.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've heard of lodges requiring a written letter if you can't attend. The SRIA is pretty strict about that as is the SRICF. I'm sure other Orders as well. As far as BL, I would imagine more of the EC/O and TO lodges would be more strict with attendance.

Bro. A

My Lodge requires a member to call the secretary before a meeting if you cannot attend with the reason. Excessive absenteeism can result in penalties.

I like the idea. I'll look more into it.

Keith C

Oh my! If only.

We have 500+ Members on the books. We struggle being able to suspend members who don't pay dues! The DDGM has a maximum percent that we are permitted to suspend.

I am sure we would be down to about 45-50 members if we decided to start issuing "fines" for non-attendance! Of course I am sure we would never be permitted to do that in the first place!

Winter

Premium Member
Oh my! If only.

We have 500+ Members on the books. We struggle being able to suspend members who don't pay dues! The DDGM has a maximum percent that we are permitted to suspend.

I am sure we would be down to about 45-50 members if we decided to start issuing "fines" for non-attendance! Of course I am sure we would never be permitted to do that in the first place!
That goes right to the heart of another principal of our EC lodge. We have a membership cap of only 50 Brothers. If you have 500 members, can you honestly say you know every one like your Brother?

When a Lodge reaches the 50 member cap and of there is still interest by petitioners, then the Lodge has the option to split with 25 of the Brothers forming the new "sister" Lodge. Both Lodges now have years of growing room. The new Lodge uses the same venue and meets on another night.

Keith C

That goes right to the heart of another principal of our EC lodge. We have a membership cap of only 50 Brothers. If you have 500 members, can you honestly say you know every one like your Brother?

When a Lodge reaches the 50 member cap and of there is still interest by petitioners, then the Lodge has the option to split with 25 of the Brothers forming the new "sister" Lodge. Both Lodges now have years of growing room. The new Lodge uses the same venue and meets on another night.

Great idea!

Bro. A

Here's what I'm getting at. Why get into ANY organization, pay dues, fees and what have you, and not be an ACTIVE member? Im sorry but im not in this to just wear a ring or just to have Freemasonry under my belt. I'm in it to better myself and try to do something positive within my community and other places elsewhere. This world is in trouble and people seem to not care. But I do!!! And I believe Freemasons can help change things. Sorry brothers but that's just me.

Winter

Premium Member
Here's what I'm getting at. Why get into ANY organization, pay dues, fees and what have you, and not be an ACTIVE member? Im sorry but im not in this to just wear a ring or just to have Freemasonry under my belt. I'm in it to better myself and try to do something positive within my community and other places elsewhere. This world is in trouble and people seem to not care. But I do!!! And I believe Freemasons can help change things. Sorry brothers but that's just me.
You also can't hold others accountable for your standards of conduct. Just because that is why you are here may not be the reason another Brother is. And they may grow over time into a stronger Brother by their association. Whatever their current level of participation is now.

Keith C

That is a great attitude!

However as people age things change, but they still want to support their lodge by paying dues and want a Masonic Service to send them off towards the Undiscovered land.

There are quite a few folks who join only because they have friends that are Shriners and they have to be a MM to join that group. I was shocked when I joined Chapter that there were so many Companions that were members of my Lodge who I never met before, as Chapter, Council and Commandary are their "thing."

One Brother who was going through the degrees the same time as I was revealed to me after being raised that he only joined as his Daughter was a Rainbow Girl and he thought it would give her some leverage being the Daughter of a MM. (Of course he was wrong!)

People have many reasons for joining, not all of which they share or realize when petitioning.

Bro. A

That is a great attitude!

However as people age things change, but they still want to support their lodge by paying dues and want a Masonic Service to send them off towards the Undiscovered land.

There are quite a few folks who join only because they have friends that are Shriners and they have to be a MM to join that group. I was shocked when I joined Chapter that there were so many Companions that were members of my Lodge who I never met before, as Chapter, Council and Commandary are their "thing."

One Brother who was going through the degrees the same time as I was revealed to me after being raised that he only joined as his Daughter was a Rainbow Girl and he thought it would give her some leverage being the Daughter of a MM. (Of course he was wrong!)

People have many reasons for joining, not all of which they share or realize when petitioning.

I've heard that alot. It shouldn't be like that.

Bro. A

You also can't hold others accountable for your standards of conduct. Just because that is why you are here may not be the reason another Brother is. And they may grow over time into a stronger Brother by their association. Whatever their current level of participation is now.

True...

Bro. A

I just hold myself to a high standard when I'm involved with something. That's just me.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
500 is unreal! That lodge should have calved decades ago.
Our trestleboard always contains the following;
*** The attendance of all Paideia Lodge officers and members is required. Please confirm your attendance as soon as possible. ***

otherstar

I agree, to a point. When I became I Mason, I worked a normal work schedule. A few years ago, I had to switch to schedules and now I work until 10 PM Monday through Thursday most of the year. I do try to make it to Lodge when I work days. I do NOT want to stop paying dues simply because my work schedule necessitates me missing Lodge more often than not (and I'm not willing to change jobs...I've been at my current job for 9 years and love it).