My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge of research

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Can someone please enlighten me on on exactly what these are ??

NY.Light

Based on my limited understanding, a lodge of research is a lodge that meets semi-annually, usually four times a year, whereby members present papers and on Masonic topics in lodge. This lodges usually have a large library/archive and preserve older Masonic documents. I don't think they initiate members, so you have to become a member first and then affiliate.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Lodges of research are lodges that publish teaching material and are not allowed to confer degrees. Members must already be MMs.

In science the golden standard is the peer reviewed journal article. Research, analysis and/or experimentation is conducted. The results are written and submitted to a journal. Experts review the article to see if it passes the "stink test". Having journals in all major libraries allows science to ratchet ever upward or at least to keep the current art known.

Many research lodges focus on history. History is a science and historical papers are put through the peer review process before being published. These research lodges tend to focus on their territory or specialty - the Civil War, their own state ...

Other research lodges focus on other types of knowledge. There exist ones that gather news from the Masonic world to broader their members' perspective. There exist ones that publish papers on various esoteric topics.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The Phylaxis society is a good example. They absolutely fill the same ecological niche. I have no idea if they hold a charter from a specific grand lodge, which is why lodges of research have the word "lodge" in their names. But that difference is a technicality compared to the complete overlap in function.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
The Phylaxis society is a good example. They absolutely fill the same ecological niche. I have no idea if they hold a charter from a specific grand lodge, which is why lodges of research have the word "lodge" in their names. But that difference is a technicality compared to the complete overlap in function.
Ok thank you brother