Lodge of Younger Initiates

Discussion in 'Locating a Lodge' started by Derek Barclay, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Derek Barclay

Derek Barclay Registered User

Do yall know of any lodges, particularly in North Texas, that have a substantial number of younger members. By 'younger' I mean 40 and under, and by 'substantial' I mean atleast 1. :) I know the Lightfoot Lodge of Dallas to be one, but I can't find anymore.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Your best bet is to simply show up at each lodge for dinner and see who shows up. A young membership base doesn't guarantee that they are active.

3. Derek Barclay

Okay, that's understandable. At the very least, it'd probably be good food with good company.

That is my main concern with my interest in younger members. I'd like to see a lodge that has 2+ meetings every month as opposed to just one. Some don't even meet on a monthly basis. o_O

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Do you believe in a supreme being?

5. Derek Barclay

Not at the moment. But if my thinking evolves to that position I'd be very interested in petitioning a lodge.

I still like to discuss the topic.

6. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

A young lodge can be more fun socially if that is what you seek.

On the other hand a lodge may be full of elderly brethren who have given up attempting to penetrate the veil of allegory.

Each lodge needs to be tested for its value.

7. Plustax

Plustax Registered User

I don't believe there are very many younger lodges as there are too many old timers that want things done the old fashioned way. I see that in older lodges a lot & I would be considered a "old timer". LOL Many complain of wanting
    "Young blood"..as long as its in accordance with old mindset.

8. Derek Barclay

The world changes. So should we.

Because we are the world, and the world is us.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. Glen Cook

That's not my experience. Where are you a Mason?

10. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Lightfoot is a good lodge. If you're looking to petition I'd suggest to check there. If nothing else they may very well know the area better and be able to point you in a good direction.

11. Classical

Classical Premium Member

Why is he bothering to ask if he does not believe in God or the immortality of the soul? Isn't that like a lactose intolerant child ordering a milkshake??

Bill Lins and Glen Cook like this.
  12. Derek Barclay

Because he enjoys conversation. Come on guy, I thought you were a child of light. Are you not aware that beliefs can change? I don't think mine will in that regard, but yall don't know that. :)

13. Classical

Classical Premium Member

This isn't a parlor game or idle conversation. Belief in God and the immortality of the soul has to occur in a man before he ever inquires about petitioning. There is a cart and a horse...the order of them had better be straight!

Furthermore, if your life is, in your estimation, an accidental collision of chemicals that occurs within an evolved ape with delusions of grandeur then you truly are not ready to ask about lodges with younger members! Freemasonry places it's faith in an all-seeing benevolent Architect who created the universe and also you and me. Your first duty is to go to a church, a synagogue, a temple or mosque and get right with God. Then we'll talk about younger lodges!

Bill Lins likes this.
  14. coachn

And the agenda can't become any clearer.

Bill Lins likes this.
  15. coachn

I disagree. A man who not a believer in anything other than his physical self has in his view no duty to anyone or anything other than his physical himself.

asdf4727 likes this.
  16. Derek Barclay

I have yet to petition a regular order of the fraternity. I have inquired with them however, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I can respect your viewpoint. I hope you can respect mine.

Is this an open forum, or one reserved for confirmed Masons?

Well that's my hope. I've tried to be clear. I want to learn how to be a better person (more compassionate/understanding/understandable/inclusive/healthy).

I have duties, but they are self-imposed.

17. NY.Light.II

NY.Light.II Registered User

I shan't speak for the forum or its admins, so take this as an unofficial answer, but by my understanding this forum has no requirement to be a mason to participate. I do think that this is forgotten by some.

18. Classical

Classical Premium Member

Well if I get into my reasoning for why all people owe God their worship and allegiance we would be talking theology..... ;) But the point stands, I think, that Freemasonry is for men with belief. We are not a religion, but we are a fraternity for men --with-- a religion.

Bill Lins likes this.
  19. Glen Cook

Oh, we remember that, and we welcome genuine questions. At least I become a bit tetchy when someone not a Mason decides to lecture me as to what the Fraternity is, or should be, or when someone asks questions that are perceived as disengenuous or baiting.

coachn, Bill Lins and Zack like this.
  20. Derek Barclay

My motive is a desire to learn and discuss things that interest me, and I think I've done so sincerely. I understand your post may not necessarily be referencing me, but there are some on this forum that find contempt with my posts. I'm not really sure why. There is no reason for feeling threatened or angered or annoyed by my words.

asdf4727 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry