My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Officer Duties - Junior Deacon

Keith C

Interesting differences. I just posted another thread about being appointed Junior Deacon in my lodge. Here in PA the Junior Deacon carries messages between the Senior Warden and Junior Warden. The only speaking I am aware of is part of opening and closing the Lodge "in Ancient form." The Outer door is attended by the Pursuivant, the Examining room door by the Senior Master of Ceremonies and the Preparing room door by the Junior Master of Ceremonies. Candidates are conducted through their degrees by someone designated as "Guide" by the WM. The Jewel of both Senior and Junior Deacons is a Dove.

Canadian Paul

In our ritual for the opening of the lodge the Deacons describe their duties as 'carrying messages and commands' from the Master to the wardens - but actually never actually do so! Their main ritual duties are to attend to the lesser lights (which are located one each in front of the Master and each Warden) during the Opening and Closing, adjust the Tracing Boards, conduct Candidates through their degrees and attend at the altar with crossed wands during the opening and closing of the greater lights. We have no Pursuivant and a a single 'Director of Ceremonies'.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In our ritual for the opening of the lodge the Deacons describe their duties as 'carrying messages and commands' from the Master to the wardens - but actually never actually do so!
In my NM lodge there was a Master who took great delight in having the SW carry messages about the lodge.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I'm afraid I failed to transmit the true tone of the situation... it was all done in good fun, one of those "we say it but it's never been done hey let's try it!" sort of things. We all had a laugh and also realized that there are times during lodge when the pedestals might need to communicate privately.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Last night we had a PM of Lancaster #43(GLoPA) at our regular communication, our SD was rasied in that lodge and invited him out. Several of us went for a drink after and it was great comparing notes. Especially since ive seen 4 different jurisdictions ritual

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There are three things that stood out to me when I visited a PA lodge; the WM never sits, the Wardens and their columns, and the fact the Brethren had never seen someone wearing cowboy boots with a suit.

Keith C

There are three things that stood out to me when I visited a PA lodge; the WM never sits, the Wardens and their columns, and the fact the Brethren had never seen someone wearing cowboy boots with a suit.

Funny. You might have felt better if you came to my lodge. Our Treasurer wears cowboy boots with his Tails!

Bro. Landry

Like his senior counterpart, the Senior Deacon, the Jewel of his office is the Square and Compass, however the Junior Deacon's Square and Compass has a moon in the center (rather than a sun), which signifies that he is in the West.

The Junior Deacon of a Masonic Lodge is an assistant officer of the Lodge. He sits to the lower right of the Senior Warden. The Junior Deacon's principle roles are to assist the Senior Warden by carrying messages from the Senior Warden in the West to the Junior Warden in the South and to guard the inner door of the Lodge. It is his duty to ascertain at all times whether the Tiler is guarding the door and only allowing visitors to enter after they have been properly vouched for. The Junior Deacon and the Tiler communicate with each other by knocking on the door (the Tiler from the outside...and the Junior Deacon from the inside). Some jurisdictions split this position into 2 positions...that of the Junior Deacon and the Inner Guard. The Junior Warden's position is similar to a Manager.

In my jurisdiction the JD attends to alarms at the outer door, the SD , the inner door

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Darrel B Smith

MWPHAGL OF FlA of PHA F&AM IM THE JD OF THE LABOR SYSTEM LODGE #324 F&AM PHA
221330f5d11002c25eb66d5409aaa260.jpg
33a91ec9c597bfeb77440146dce2221c.jpg

Sent from my LGLS676 using My Freemasonry mobile app