Lodge Officer Duties - Junior Deacon

Discussion in 'Officers of the Lodge' started by Blake Bowden, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Thank you, that's what I was trying to explain to him.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

2. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

I couldn't do that.
    I will have to "tactical retreat" if we both sit in the third jurisdiction which both of us recognised.
    But the fact is, he is simply not recognised by my Grand Lodge. It is a fact and no matter how you and me dislike it, I still need to follow it.

3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

You could because you'd never know it.

But I 100% agree that regardless of our feelings we must follow GL Law

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app

4. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Maybe not in the teachings of your Lodge, but it is in mine.

5. Ripcord22A

So when you visit a lodge you have to make sure all in attendance are recognized by your gl? How do you do that?

6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Ask. We certainly cannot sit in Lodge with a Bro from an unrecognized brother, but I am sure if it did happen, and they were all in the same regalia, I dont think our GL would be very interested in taking action against me... I would suggest a 24 hour suspension :)

7. Ripcord22A

So everytime you visit you ask every one there what GL they are from and you carry a Book Of Lodges Masonic? It's impractical. ...

Warrior1256 likes this.
  8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Understood. How would I know who all my GL recognizes and who it dosen't?

Travelling Man91 likes this.
  9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Some jurisdictions publish a recognition list, so you familiarize yourself with the list and do your best on the spot. California has the list in the Proceedings every year. I download it most years, so I'm mostly familiar with the list.

Other jurisdictions don't publish a list or at least don't make it easy to find. I've looked for the Texas list but haven't been able to find it. So I make my best guess.

So best educated guess. If you're not educated, then the Brothers at the lodge you're visiting are your education. This is where the "act like the locals" rule probably came from.

If your jurisdiction doesn't have an "act like the locals rule", AND you know they don't, then you're still back at making an educated guess. Even with minimal education you'll know about some jurisdictions. But if you don't know for certain, I suggest you ask yourself what's the brotherly thing to do. Sometimes maybe it is to withdraw from the meeting. Sometimes maybe it is to make an educated guess that the recognition list of the host lodge is close enough that you're okay staying.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Wise advise, thank you Brother.

11. Mark Stockdale

Mark Stockdale Premium Member

In my Mother Lodge, we have an Inner Guard.
    The Junior Deacon is responsible for the candidate in the EA degree, and assists the Senior Deacon in the FC and MM degrees.
    As such, I am the first person candidates interact with as they take their first real step in Freemasonry, as I prepare them for the ceremony and try to put them at ease about what they are about to experience, before leading them through the Lodge door to truly begin their journey.

Bloke and Warrior1256 like this.

Share My Freemasonry