My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to brush up.

bthomas470

Premium Member
I’m located in Alabama and was wondering about some suggestions on brushing up on the lessons for each degree. I have been out of the lodge for a few years and have forgotten a lot. I was wondering what folks suggested for learning the lessons top to bottom again. I’m guessing a mentor is going to be suggested a lot, and I do know written lessons in this state are seemingly controversial. Thanks in advance!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I’m located in Alabama and was wondering about some suggestions on brushing up on the lessons for each degree. I have been out of the lodge for a few years and have forgotten a lot. I was wondering what folks suggested for learning the lessons top to bottom again. I’m guessing a mentor is going to be suggested a lot, and I do know written lessons in this state are seemingly controversial. Thanks in advance!
Go to degrees.

Keith C

I would combine to two ideas above. Find a PM as a mentor and go to as many degrees as possible. Once you start to feel comfortable, volunteer to sit in a chair for degrees. See some, Do some then give back yourself by becoming a mentor to a new Brother and Teach some!

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Start visiting and go see some degrees. Ask your lodge to put on a "Rusty Nail" night and invite other Brothers that haven't been to lodge in awhile.

Bloke

Premium Member
Attending Degrees is a good one.. but maybe going to a business meeting and sitting outside with the Tyler if you're able to get instruction outside a lodge where you are.. If it is a lodge where you already know folk and you want a crash course.. I'd be inviting a PM over for dinner to your house..

bthomas470

Premium Member
Thanks for all the responses! We meet every other Thursday. So we’ve kinna been pitching the idea that on the off Thursday when we don’t have lodge, we would meet at the lodge and have teachers catch everyone up to speed on lessons and opening and closing the lodge.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Thanks for all the responses! We meet every other Thursday. So we’ve kinna been pitching the idea that on the off Thursday when we don’t have lodge, we would meet at the lodge and have teachers catch everyone up to speed on lessons and opening and closing the lodge.
Since you put it out there, I view four meetings a month for one lodge as excessive.

bthomas470

Premium Member
I respect your point of view. Not everyone will be there every time and it isn’t something that will continue forever. Just something to keep everyone involved that wants to learn.

47th Prblm of Wonderland

I am not familiar with Alabama, but would you happen to have Standard Club? Not sure if it's the same there, but perhaps ask if anyone can send you a list of upcoming events?

Standard Club, my Standard Work book and attending degrees helps me not just stay polished, but there is always something new to learn.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
One of the lodges that I belong to, Suburban 740, meets every Thursday. Being an officer in this lodge is almost a full time job.
I bet. My view is that this lacks balance.

And if you are involved with appendant bodies, there are going to be many weeks of two - three meetings, even if you don’t visit other Lodges.

OTOH, it keeps the brethren off the streets. :).

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
And if you are involved with appendant bodies, there are going to be many weeks of two - three meetings, even if you don’t visit other Lodges.
I was asked to join the line. Although I considered it an honor I had to decline because I am very active in appendant bodies.

bthomas470

Premium Member
I’m thinking this every other Thursday session at the lodge will get folks up to speed. Although not everyone can attend every time. We do have some brothers that have been doing this for years and years that are a blessing when it comes to teaching the work.