My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason or Freemason?

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
In the casual way that we use language today we might use the words Biker and Motorcyclist to mean the same person. But while the denotation of both words may be the same, the connotation is not. As the owner of a motorized two-wheeled conveyance, I have noticed a considerable difference in the reaction I get from some people when I say "I own a motorcycle" or "I am a motorcyclist" and when I say "I own a bike" or "I'm a biker".

I believe that there is a similar difference between the words Mason and Freemason. Most of us probably never give this a thought. Most people, myself included, choose our words out of habit. However lately I have been paying more attention to my words. I guess you could say that I have been experimenting, sometimes using the words Mason and Masonry, and at other times using Freemason and Freemasonry. The reactions that I have gotten from people have been interesting. Also, I have noticed a slight variation in how I feel about myself depending on which words I choose.

I am wondering what other people do. Which way do you refer to yourself? Do you think it makes a difference? Has reading this made you think that you might try referring to yourself and to the Craft differently and see what reaction you get?

Morris

Premium Member
I usually say Mason. Not sure why. Maybe because Freemason has this television aura or mystique about it that makes it a little odd for me. I've told people I'm a mason before for them to follow up with "like a Freemason?"

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...Which way do you refer to yourself? Do you think it makes a difference? Has reading this made you think that you might try referring to yourself and to the Craft differently and see what reaction you get?
I refer to myself one way or the other depending upon what I am talking about and doing.
  • Freemasonic: If it is associated with organization stuff that has to do with membership activities, like going to organizational meetings, practices, or performing rituals/degrees/installations/proficiencies/fundraising/fish-fries/etc., it's Freemasonry and I am a Freemason.
  • Masonic: If it is associated with doing the Work (that which "Builds Men" and "Makes Good Men Better" as opposed to mere "membership activity and ritual work", it's Masonry and I am a Mason.
I understand others have their preferences and reasons; these are mine.