My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Bill of Rights- Is this possible?

cemab4y

Premium Member
I read a "Masonic Bill of Rights", on another board. I find this topic fascinating. Can we have a discussion about this topic? I believe that most Grand Lodges, and Grand Lodge officers are doing an excellent job in serving their memberships, and in serving Masonry.

I also hear "horror stories", of Grand Lodge officers, who are operating in ways, that do not reflect on the high standards, that Masons should expect.

Could such a document be crafted? Would Grand Lodges be willing, to adopt a "Bill of Rights", and insert these rights into their constitutions? Is such a listing of rights,even necessary at all? I believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I am not interested in criticizing or "hammering", any individual grand Lodge or any grand Lodge officer, regardless of jurisdiction. I would just like to see what other Masons around the country, think about this idea.

Here is a possible "Bill of Rights":

-The right to speak, including electronically, and in print, about Masonry.

-The right to have a full and open hearing, in the event of masonic charges.

-The right to contact and seek guidance from other Masons, both in the individual's Grand Lodge, and from Masons in other Grand Jurisdictions, and Grand Lodges.

-The right to approach and present grievances to Grand Lodge officers, without fear of reprisal.

-The right to meet with other masons, and discuss masonry, and to form organizations of Masons outside of Grand Lodge supervision, such as "Masonic Square and Compasses Clubs", and "Widow's Sons clubs".

-The right to hold all officers, both at the individual lodge level, and at the Grand Lodge level, accountable for following the applicable rules and regulations of the lodge/grand Lodge.

-The right to submit changes to by-laws, regulations, and constitutions, at the lodge and Grand Lodge level, and to have these changes duly voted on, in proper form.

These are just a few that come to mind, what others should be added?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I think that might be nice for a GM to put out as decrees maybe to remind MM's of the ability to talk about their craft

Sirius

Very interesting. I believe most of these enumerated rights are already guaranteed in Masonic Law, with the exception of the forming outside Masonic organizations. Unless you adopt bylaws and elect officers your just a group of people getting together to BBQ, ride motorcycles, or hunt pheasant who happen to be Masons. So that's not really a 'problem'.

A Masonic Bill of Rights is almost an answer in search of a problem.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Ill take a shot at a Masonic Bill of Rights...

We will meet upon the level and part on the square.

The End

cemab4y

Premium Member
I wanted to start a Masonic "Square and Compasses Club". The idea was for a club, where we could meet once a month at a restaurant, and have breakfast, and just meet informally. We would not be a lodge, no charter, no degree work. Just a group of friends meeting regulary to enjoy a breakfast.

A past Grand Master found out about our plans, and called the current Grand Master.

The current Grand Master, called me at home, and "read the riot act".

I was told that any association like this, was forbidden. I was told to drop all plans.

Some states forbid any association of masons, that they cannot control.

Sirius

I wanted to start a Masonic "Square and Compasses Club". The idea was for a club, where we could meet once a month at a restaurant, and have breakfast, and just meet informally. We would not be a lodge, no charter, no degree work. Just a group of friends meeting regulary to enjoy a breakfast.

A past Grand Master found out about our plans, and called the current Grand Master.

The current Grand Master, called me at home, and "read the riot act".

I was told that any association like this, was forbidden. I was told to drop all plans.

Some states forbid any association of masons, that they cannot control.

Thats why you don't give it a name and keep it informal. When you do all get together you can say 'hay we ought to do this again next month!'. No rules broken.

Wingnut

Premium Member
As our military likes to say... Dont ask dont tell. If you dont put a logo on it, or a name on it its just a bunch of guys hanging out and enjoying each others company. Start putting S&Cs on it and sounding Masonic then GL brings out the big sticks.

Being pragmatic, each GL claims they have total jurisdiction within their territory of all things Masonic. Some group starts up a club calling themselves the Beer Drinking Masons of Tx and someone gets killed or kills someone any lawyer worth a damn will go after the club and what they perceive as the head of the club especially with the alleged money that masonry has (Templars Treasure and all). Yes after the cost of some money for lawyers they could more than likely get dropped. If they smart tv lawyer requests copies of all dues cards of the members (and they will) and all are from the GL of TX it makes it harder to say "they arent a part of us". If however they have a documented history of putting the smack down on anyone that appears to be making a masonic connection to the GL they have a much better chance of getting dropped.

I gotta stop staying at Holiday Inn Express!

Sirius

Excellent points, Wingnut. A lawsuit shield is necessary to protect what we have. As we've seen so many times before, one jackass can bring a whole thing down. The Greek frats are a good example of that.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Many states permit and encourage informal masonic associations, outside of the blue lodge. For example, most New Hampshire lodges close down entirely, during the summer. Many lodges have "Square and Compasses Clubs",so that their members can have barbecues and various activities during the summer months.

If your club charter, or articles of incorporation, state that your club is not affiliated with any lodge or grand lodge, then, you should be shielded.

This irrational fear of lawsuits, is getting out of hand.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Yes. Some years ago, there was an accidental shooting at a Square and Compasses club in upstate New York.

Sirius

This irrational fear of lawsuits, is getting out of hand.

It's not irrational in Texas. We've had to shell out millions over lawsuits resulting from student/student sexual harassment at the Masonic school. In fact, as many know, we shut the school down in an effort to prevent further lawsuits. :frown:

cemab4y

Premium Member
I hear you. If the lawsuit was enough to close the school, then that was a bad situation.

Nevertheless, Masonic "Square and Compasses " clubs, and "Widow's son's" clubs, and all types of informal discussion and study groups, operate all over the USA, with no problem at all.

Virginia, has "charitable immunity" laws, that give non-profits limited immunity from lawsuits.

Sirius

I hear you. If the lawsuit was enough to close the school, then that was a bad situation.

Nevertheless, Masonic "Square and Compasses " clubs, and "Widow's son's" clubs, and all types of informal discussion and study groups, operate all over the USA, with no problem at all.

Virginia, has "charitable immunity" laws, that give non-profits limited immunity from lawsuits.

I think informal is the key word here. As soon as you give it a name it's a club. keep it simple. no names.

owls84

Premium Member
In Texas this is covered by Art. 505 (22)

22. Participate in, approve, or aid in the formation of any
organization predicating its membership on Masonic
membership or in the formation of any local chapters
or groups, by whatever name called, of any organization
predicating membership on Masonic membership. It
shall be a Masonic offense for any Texas Mason to be,
remain, or continue as, a Member of any organization
predicating its membership or affiliation on Masonic
membership unless such organization is now currently
approved or recognized in Article 225 or Article 225a.

I agree, once a name is slapped on it. It becomes an offense. However I believe this would be splitting hairs and there are some ways around this. Just call it Masonic fellowship. Point blank. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

cemab4y

Premium Member
quote- predicating its membership on Masonic
membership -unquote

The way around this, is to set up your Saturday morning breakfast club, and base membership on "anyone interested in Masonry". Make the club "open", and thus anyone can join. Also, in your constitution and by-laws, insert a clause, that states "This organization is not affiliated with the Grand Lodge of (your state), nor any Masonic organization. This way you are not in violation of any masonic edict, and the Grand Lodge is shielded.