My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Funeral

billyjfootball

When I was young, my grandfather passed away. I was very close to him. It's funny because I don't remember much about the wake or funeral at all. What I do remember--although it's a bit hazy due to time-- is the Masonic funeral part of it.

I remember a group of Masons coming in with aprons on, saying their prayers, leaving the apron and acacia. I had no real idea about Freemasonry then, but I remember looking at those men, and thinking it was a big deal. They looked so solemn, so noble; it reminded me of something done for important people- like royalty or something. But I knew my Pop. He was just a normal man. Made me realize that there was something magical about Freemasonry. It made me believe that my Pop was heading into heaven with Masons around him, traveling with them to the angels and all that. It made me feel better.

Unfortunately, today I have to attend my first memorial service as the Junior Warden. I hope if I'm able to bring some comfort to some heartbroken 12 year old at the funeral home, I'll be happy. Life really is a circle. It's also going to be difficult because the brother whom we are giving the service to was a great man.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemason

hanzosbm

Premium Member
My grandfather's funeral was also my first glimpse of Freemasonry and the reason I joined.
I have yet to have a speaking part in a Masonic funeral, but being part of the funeral corp is something I aspire to for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.
Thank you for performing that duty for our brother.