My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Historian's Advice Needed - Symbology of Bees/ Bee Hives

dlmuk

I was wondering if there are any Masonic historians on this forum that might be able to help me with the following...

I have an antique piece of furniture dating from around 1820 that has delicate brass inlay of bees around a bee hive/ skep. These designs seem very definite, and with some basic research, seem like they are of Masonic symbolism. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is correct and, if so, what it might symbolise? Seems as though there may be relevance that one hive as two bees around it, and the other hive has six bees.

Any help would be very warmly appreciated

0V3A2223a.jpg
0V3A2224.jpg

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I was wondering if there are any Masonic historians on this forum that might be able to help me with the following...

I have an antique piece of furniture dating from around 1820 that has delicate brass inlay of bees around a bee hive/ skep. These designs seem very definite, and with some basic research, seem like they are of Masonic symbolism. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is correct and, if so, what it might symbolise? Seems as though there may be relevance that one hive as two bees around it, and the other hive has six bees.

Any help would be very warmly appreciated

As to whether this is Masonic or not, I don't think we can really say with any certainty. Yes, the beehive is a symbol used in Freemasonry, but I don't think that's enough to prove a connection. Regarding the number of bees around the hives, those particular numbers with those particular symbols aren't something I recognize as Masonic.
In short, I don't think there's any way to know if there's a connection.

dlmuk

This is such fascinating information that I will now begin to research. Thank you so much for the time you have given me

dfreybur

Premium Member
The bee hive is a symbol of industry and teamwork. Notice those aren't columns in the second picture they are plants with flowers.

Bees work together to make honey. Then a miracle is used to convert the honey into mead. Notice that the founding event of grand lodge Masonry was a tiled Table Lodge with wine.

Combined this is a wonderful metaphor for a lodge. Teamwork giving sweetness, miracle giving elation, elation giving teamwork back into a feedback loop.

Bloke

Premium Member
Good points above. It might be a masonic image, but also just an artist producing a beehive with no masonic connection.