My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic signature

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
This explains it in legal terms: http://www.newstruth.co.uk/how-to-sign-your-name-without-assuming-liability/

The use of three dots dates to Aegyptian hieroglyphs where the symbol translates as the word 'grain'. This is multi-contextual, it means both 'sand' and 'seed'. The first grain of sand in the desert, is the beginning of the desert. The seed is the beginning of the tree. Thus, the three dots means 'it begins here'. What this means is a duality; the signature authorizes the document, represents a living being has made conscious decision regarding the manuscript, that it is endowed with more value than merely a piece of paper plus words on it. It also means, everything before this point of the document is foundation, and is annulled because it happened before the beginning; we shall begin at the beginning, not before. The dualism is intentional because 'As Above So Below' is a famous masonic maxim.

The same symbol of three dots is also witnessed on the decorative cloth for the Kaba at Mecca (Ka Ba Me are also Aegyptian words with precise meanings, relating to the lifetime, the soul, the manifestation journey). From this we may trace a direct conceptual lineage at work, dating from the ancient times through to present day, behind the facade of organized religions.

The use of three dots arranged in triangular format as opposed to in a row is a variant on this, denoting Higher Aspirant and Stability rather than merely a Beginning.

The most famous use of the triple-dots within a signature is of course that of the Pendragon, J R R Tolkien.

View attachment 5061

Accredited image, non-profit use for educational purposes within international fair use policy.
Such disclaimer being irrelevant given the context. With Respect.
The cite is silliness and has nothing to do with the information provided in the anonymous post.

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
I heard there is a way that Masons sign their name by adding 3 dots in the form of a triangle at the end, can anyone clarify this?

To add some confusion, there are fringe Masonic organization (several Martinist and French occult socieities come to mind) - that is to say, organizations with a Masonic origin, and Masonic pedigree, but have distanced themselves from, and no longer claim to be, Masonic - who utilize the same dots and arrangement, and on signatures, but it carries a very specific and very different meaning.

To add even more confusion, some Masons, who belong to such organizations, have been signing their Masonic books with such non-Masonic artifacts, further bluring the lines.

EDIT - spelling

SimonM

To add even more confusion, some Masons, who belong to such organizations, have been signing their Masonic books with such non-Masonic artifacts, further bluring the lines.
Since the dots and symbols have the same origin of French 18th century high degree masonry it's hard to differentiate the meaning. If we for example look at the three dots, that symbol is used by both masonic and non-masonic organisations and the origin of said symbol is from the same source. If a mason who also belongs to such fringe masonic organisation signs with that symbol, is it masonic or not?

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
Since the dots and symbols have the same origin of French 18th century high degree masonry it's hard to differentiate the meaning. If we for example look at the three dots, that symbol is used by both masonic and non-masonic organisations and the origin of said symbol is from the same source. If a mason who also belongs to such fringe masonic organisation signs with that symbol, is it masonic or not?

It's a fair point. In general - for regular American Masons (and I wasn't clear about that in my response), I'd respond with "no", and here's why:
  • In the US the remaining eccosais derived systems are Cryptic Masonry, AASR, and RER. Some of the component degrees of these systems used dots, but time has abrogated such artefacts.
  • The dots within the fringe Masonic community took on a new dimension under Papus and the orders descended through his efforts. This created further distance from Masonry
If we bring irregular orders such as Memphis and Misraim, then the answer moves of course towards, yes.

SimonM

It's a fair point. In general - for regular American Masons (and I wasn't clear about that in my response), I'd respond with "no", and here's why:
  • In the US the remaining eccosais derived systems are Cryptic Masonry, AASR, and RER. Some of the component degrees of these systems used dots, but time has abrogated such artefacts.
  • The dots within the fringe Masonic community took on a new dimension under Papus and the orders descended through his efforts. This created further distance from Masonry
If we bring irregular orders such as Memphis and Misraim, then the answer moves of course towards, yes.
Nice description of the differences! In europe where some of the mainstream systems are more closely related to the eccosais the question is even harder to answer, but I think you presented a good guiding principle.

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
In europe where some of the mainstream systems are more closely related to the eccosais

Exactly. I'm glad you asked your question because I didn't qualify that I was referring to the mainstream American Masonic experience, and your question let me address that.

Does the Swedish Rite use the ∴ symbol?

SimonM

Exactly. I'm glad you asked your question because I didn't qualify that I was referring to the mainstream American Masonic experience, and your question let me address that.

Does the Swedish Rite use the ∴ symbol?
We did until our big reform 1801, there are interesting changes in the signatures of the masons in Sweden before and after that reform.
The new way of signing was mostly in use during the 19th century, but you rarely see it in use anymore.

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
We did until our big reform 1801, there are interesting changes in the signatures of the masons in Sweden before and after that reform.
The new way of signing was mostly in use during the 19th century, but you rarely see it in use anymore.

I think the behavior you described is fairly consistent across regular Anglo-Saxon Jurisdictions.

NJA

Not sure how you do it here. In Word you type 2234 place your cursor after the number 4, press the Alt key and the x keys simultaneously. You can then copy and paste it...

Gerry
I'm sitting here for about 5 minutes with an open jaw after testing this and seeing the results. I had to join this site just to say thank you, great tip! I am amazed that 1) there is a command for this and 2) that it works, and 3) that someone was aware of it. Maybe it's well known, I have no idea but I am creating a bulletin and wanted to get the abbreviations right. Thank you!