My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masons Struggle with Racial Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beathard

Premium Member
PH021211 said:
Regularity is no longer an issue. Recognition is.
Ok, I am the first to admit I am not an expert on this, but don't both PH GLoT and the GLoT believe each other are regular and recognize each other. Isn't the what the 2006 agreement was all about.?

Beathard

Premium Member
I think they get confused by all the terms concepts: e.g. regular, recognized, visitation, transfer of membership, merging of Grand Lodges. It's not a question of racism as much it used to be. I think it is a question of two very good, very proud, and well respected organizations trying to figure out how to work together without losing any of either organizations unique history, traditions and autonomy.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
I think they get confused by all the terms concepts: e.g. regular, recognized, visitation, transfer of membership, merging of Grand Lodges.

I'll admit, all of that stuff has been pretty confusing to me. I still don't think that I have it all totally understood yet, but I do believe that seeing the discussions on here and the questions I have had answered has cleared up a lot of worry for me regarding all of this.

John Schnitz

Premium Member
PH021211 said:
My cousin in MN have had full recognition for some time and my younger brother in OH has visitation but as of this date we here in Texas are not allowed to even talk to each other let alone visit. When we took our oaths, there was no mention of only associating with brothers of one affiliation or the other. I realize that there are those of both GL's that like things just the way they are but if we are to continue to exist and be relevant we must bury these differences. In closing, remember this, We can accomplish so much more working together than we can working separately.

I agree 100%

BCunningham

It is not a black or white issue and has nothing to do with racism. It sickens me that we as MASONS, are even throwing this around. I am white as are most of the brethren in my lodge, but we have members of all colors and background. It is the internal and not the external qualifications that enable us to call each other BROTHER!

I personally do not see color. I see good and I see bad. I welcome the good men that petition to be my brother and I pray for the bad men and hope that someday they will receive light, and become better.

I would suggest we all do some research and gain a little better understanding of the difference between the two before supposing it is the color of our skin. It is not color, I can assure you of that!

I know in Texas we recognized Prince Hall Freemasonry as a fraternity in 2006 and have welcomed the Prince Hall Lodges to be recognized as a Masonic order under the Grand Lodge of Texas. It is my understanding that it is the Prince Hall Grand Lodge that is not willing to accept the offer.

Please do not turn our great fraternity into a battle of race. I treat all my brothers the same both Blue Lodge and Prince Hall, and have a great deal of love for each of them. I would run to the aid of a Prince Hall Mason just as I would to the aid of Blue Lodge Mason.

Now, lets stop all this and get back to doing what we do best; taking good men and making them better!

Beathard

Premium Member
I know in Texas we recognized Prince Hall Freemasonry as a fraternity in 2006 and have welcomed the Prince Hall Lodges to be recognized as a Masonic order under the Grand Lodge of Texas. It is my understanding that it is the Prince Hall Grand Lodge that is not willing to accept the offer.

This is definately incorrect. Please see http://www.mwphglotx.org/images/compact/Web%20Page%20of%20Compact%20Signing.gif from the Prince Hall Grand Lodge site. The 2006 compact was a two-way agreement.

BCunningham

I believe you are missing my point. Please do not assist those who do not understand what we stand for, continue to slander our good fortune by supposing the separation is due to the color of our skin.

May I suggest a book, that could have been named a little better and is perhaps a bit outdated, that was published in 1982 and distributed by The Missouri Lodge of Research.

Titled: A DOCUMENTARY ACCOUNT OF PRINCE HALL AND OTHER BLACK FRATERNAL ORDERS

Again, I do not necessarily agree with the title, but I do agree with many of the comments contained in the book such as the ones noted below, and I believe it will offer some assistance to our brethren who choose to gain a better understanding.

"Masonry knows no distinction of race or color. It is the mental, moral, and physical qualifications of the man that are to be considered."

"There is ONLY ONE Freemasonry, the regular organization of men associating under his name."

"Most Freemasons look upon this subject as a "curiosity" and have heard or read so much misinformation about it that they shy away from the subject."

I know and love many brothers of both orders and look forward to the day we can all join in fellowship together; it is long over due!

Beathard

Premium Member
The point I had contention with is the incorrect statement that Prince Hall was not accepting of the offer. I agree it is not a race issue. If you read our previous posts it is pretty obvious. But posting incorrect data is definitely harmful.

BCunningham

My intent was not to post incorrect information. I posted what I determined after researching this very subject.

My apologies if I have misinterpreted my findings and thank you brother Beathard.

owls84

Premium Member
Just to be further clear on this subject and it's current state in Texas.

The Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas, F&AM has requested FULL recognition, to include visitation, in July of 2010. This was presented to the Grand Lodge of Texas, AF&AM and reported on during the 2010 Annual Communications. It has been referred to the Fraternal Relations Committee and there will be a decision this year at our Annual Communications.

To reiterate a point we have made before time and time again on this site in many posts. We no longer need to point fingers as to who is responsible for the past actions but how can we as an organization move forward and put this behind us. We have an opportunity to put the racism perception that we have to bed and my only fear is we will not. We have an opportunity to put many perceptions to bed this year and we should take it.

Robert G

Premium Member
I was a little taken aback recently over the Texas Mason license plate. I was informed that of the $30.00 fee, $22.00 would go to the mainstream (predominately Caucasian) Grand Lodge of Texas; the rest to the State. No mention was made of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas receiving a dime. I had been hoping that the two grand lodges (which recognize each other as regular) would cooperate on the plate and share the proceeds. After all, a 'Texas Mason' can easily belong to either jurisdiction.

Beathard

Premium Member
What about the other jurisdictions? There are several. How far do you take it? The GLoT is in desperate need of funds. I would expect them to raise funds where they can. I would not expect them to raise funds for other organizations.

Robert G

Premium Member
Brother Beathard, there are no other regular masonic grand lodges in Texas. The point is that the license plate reads Texas Mason. That statement would include our Prince Hall brethren. Thus, the agreement to share funds should have included them since I'm sure that they would also enjoy displaying the plate.

Beathard

Premium Member
My point was that there are non-regular Masonic bodies in Texas. From the viewpoint if the state, they don't care who considers whom regular.

The way the process works is an organization presents a case for the plates and coughs up a deposit. GLoT did this not the others. We don't share other fund raising efforts.

Regular PH masons and non-regular masons can purchase them. Anyone can, even if he/she is not a mason.

In a perfect world we would not need funds, but this is real life. We have to fund Grand Lodge.

Last edited:

owls84

Premium Member
We need to be sure and stay on topic or create another thread. This is a too good of a topic to skew on a tangent. Thanks.

Reminder: The topic is "Masonry's continuous struggle with Racism"

Robert G

Premium Member
Reminder: The topic is "Masonry's continuous struggle with Racism"

My point exactly. The GL of Texas did not even consider partnering with the other regular GL in Texas in creating this 'Texas Mason' license plate. They could have gone into it together and even have shared the funds. By the way, did you know that there is a masonic jurisdiction from a Southern state (that doesn't recognize their PH counterpart), which makes it a masonic offense for their members to purchase a masonic license plate because their PH counterpart sponsored it and gets the funds? So I don't think that I've stepped outside the subject matter discussed in this thread at all. If we want to heal the racism in our fraternity we must take conscious action to do so. We had an opportunity with the plate and let it pass by.

Beathard

Premium Member
Does any one know of any resolutions for grand lodge related to further recognition (e.g. Visitation)?

Status
Not open for further replies.