My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Master's Hat

Master's Hat

• Western

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Dress hat

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 26 30.2%

• Total voters
J

jwardl

Depends on the person. The WM (or acting WM) should wear the hat he prefers.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
It has to have a full brim. I like dress hats. Cowboy hat just isn't for me. I'm not too big on hats at all though.;)

J

jwardl

Same here... am a proud Texan but the whole "cowboy" thing just doesn't do it for me. I wear boots, but biker boots.

Plan on buying a Fedora, myself.

Speaking of hats, can't wait to bring my sailor's hat to the next MM degree -- for obvious reasons ;). Always good to have a little fun when one can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Same here... am a proud Texan but the whole "cowboy" thing just doesn't do it for me. I wear boots, but biker boots.

Plan on buying a Fedora, myself.

Speaking of hats, can't wait to bring my sailor's hat to the next MM degree -- for obvious reasons ;). Always good to have a little fun when one can.

Umm, do you think that you will be able to wear the sailor hat in open lodge? It was my understanding that only the Master of the lodge could be covered.

nick1368

our WM last year if I remember started off in a western style and ended with a fedora; the older crowd grumbled everytime he pulled it out. Gotta love'em

J

jwardl

Umm, do you think that you will be able to wear the sailor hat in open lodge? It was my understanding that only the Master of the lodge could be covered.

Don't wanna say too much sincd this isn't a tiled forum, but, don't think it'll be a problem for the short period required... especially since it has no brim, and can't be confused with the WM's hat. Will just have to see...

caeservi

Don't wanna say too much sincd this isn't a tiled forum, but, don't think it'll be a problem for the short period required... especially since it has no brim, and can't be confused with the WM's hat. Will just have to see...

If I'm not mistaken, when the special degree teams confer a degree in costume, most of them wear head gear...but I could definitely be wrong

R

ravickery03

I think that some WMs feel like they have to wear a cowboy hat, when you can clearly see it's not for them. My suggestion would be for them to wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Costumes are allowed i.e. sailor hat, I for one will go western but would wear a top hat at the drop of a hat, pardon my pun. lol I know many that just look plain silly in a cowboy hat TC Shelton wearing a cowboy hat still makes me giggle.

R

ragged tiger

I prefer dress hats, but not everyone can pull off wearing that type of hat. Western hats look pretty good on most of the WMs I've seen.