My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MM - I am scheduled to be raised !!

HoldenMonty

It's something that was required annually but so many Masons aren't for it because you get all three degrees in one day which doesn't really allow time for things to soak in before you get the next degree. I would compare it to taking a sip out of a fire hydrant

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
It's something that was required annually but so many Masons aren't for it because you get all three degrees in one day which doesn't really allow time for things to soak in before you get the next degree. I would compare it to taking a sip out of a fire hydrant

Yea, not a fan of that at all. There is no way, no how that anyone can learn that much in one day.
Might as well just collect a check and handout aprons.

SCStrong

One day class?

I think some jurisdictions do a one day process in which people get all three degrees in the same day ( so I have been told) I personally would not agree with doing it that way but , who am I - what do I know ha ha ? Seems like it would detract from the experience. -- If you don't do the work - how can you learn from it? Just my opinion.

Reactions: GJB

HoldenMonty

I realized that I didn't really finish my post explaining the one day class. In my personal opinion I'm not a fan of the one day class and for a while in Pennsylvania it was mandatory from the Grand Lodge that the different districts came together in different Lodges all over the state to perform the one day classes. Luckily though the income Right Worshipful Grand Master and the one that is in line after him said that they aren't going to have the mandatory one day classes.

When I went to the one day class it made me glad that received my degrees before the one day class because they had the candidates in the Lodge room as one candidate was actually going through the degree and when it came for oath of the degree they had the candidates put their hand on their own Masonic Bibles and repeat along with the candidate that was actually going through the degree.

Keith C

I realized that I didn't really finish my post explaining the one day class. In my personal opinion I'm not a fan of the one day class and for a while in Pennsylvania it was mandatory from the Grand Lodge that the different districts came together in different Lodges all over the state to perform the one day classes. Luckily though the income Right Worshipful Grand Master and the one that is in line after him said that they aren't going to have the mandatory one day classes.

When I went to the one day class it made me glad that received my degrees before the one day class because they had the candidates in the Lodge room as one candidate was actually going through the degree and when it came for oath of the degree they had the candidates put their hand on their own Masonic Bibles and repeat along with the candidate that was actually going through the degree.

Indeed. When I petitioned last year the Lodge had to mention that the one day class was an option open to me, but they made it clear without saying it, that is was not a great option. There were 4 of us who petitioned the same month and had their degrees on the same schedule, a week apart (2 at a time), until one decided to do the One Day Class, leaving me to go through alone. I think I got the best experience and sadly, the brother who did the One Day Class hasn't been seen since. He did not go through the meetings with the Masonic Education Committee after each degree like we did, No one checked in that he understood what took place in the previous degree before going on to the next, and, most of all, he certainly never got the experience of being brought from Darkness to Light and realizing that all of the people in the Lodge Room where there just for him.

I think the one day class lessens the experience and makes it too easy to just go through the degrees, check the box "Become a Mason" and disappear. I am glad to hear the new RWGM won't be continuing this.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
But then you have the two or three day AASR reunions. A lot to absorb in a short period of time. However, as you attend and participate in the degrees after your are admitted you get an understanding of the meanings. The same as when the York Rite has a one or two day class.

Keith C

But then you have the two or three day AASR reunions. A lot to absorb in a short period of time. However, as you attend and participate in the degrees after your are admitted you get an understanding of the meanings. The same as when the York Rite has a one or two day class.

At the PA One Day Class you can also get all the York Rite Degrees and several Scottish Rite Degrees include 32nd plus join Shriners. The 3 Blue Lodge Degrees are done before noon and the Appendant degrees after lunch!

GJB

I think the one day class lessens the experience and makes it too easy to just go through the degrees, check the box "Become a Mason" and disappear. I am glad to hear the new RWGM won't be continuing this.

I completely agree. I was shocked and disappointed to see this advertised on Grand Lodge websites as legitimate. Seems like a good way to slightly boost membership, but at the expense of quality. Nothing worthwhile comes without hard work and dedication imo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
On the one days class... Chris Hodapp posted he was a one day Freemason... so its not like all who go through that experience disappear . I commend Chris for bringing that to Brothers attention. We do not have them here.. and I would fight them tooth and nail... a year is not enough time to really come to grips with Freemasonry, but I guess, that first year, like the one day class, is simply a start of a journey... its how any degree presented in any way should be represented.. only a start and not a conclusion.

SCStrong

I went through all three degrees in less than one year ( Which is not uncommon in the US, I 'm told ) - and I have to agree with Bloke in that it is just the start of the journey - I do not presume to have a full grasp of all that they convey. That being said - I did have to experience each degree, individually and study / practice / show proficiency between each one. I do not see how that could happen in a single day - especially as an observer. Just my humble opinion.

GJB

I went through all three degrees in less than one year ( Which is not uncommon in the US, I 'm told ) - and I have to agree with Bloke in that it is just the start of the journey - I do not presume to have a full grasp of all that they convey. That being said - I did have to experience each degree, individually and study / practice / show proficiency between each one. I do not see how that could happen in a single day - especially as an observer. Just my humble opinion.
I agree. I came to the lodge a couple of days a week to meet with my tutor/ sponsor and learn the degrees. After five months I was raised. It was a lot of work, but I was very proud of the result. To me 5 months seemed like I was getting off kind of easy...

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
At the PA One Day Class you can also get all the York Rite Degrees and several Scottish Rite Degrees include 32nd plus join Shriners. The 3 Blue Lodge Degrees are done before noon and the Appendant degrees after lunch!
At the one day YR here you get all of the degrees. Makes for a long day. Our AASR is also the same as far as the degrees that you get.
only a start and not a conclusion.
True.
I went through all three degrees in less than one year
Same here. In my jurisdiction you can take a degree each 28 days if you can learn your proficiency that quickly.