My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple Lodges

crono782

Premium Member
Is it possible to have membership in multiple lodges or do most masons just visit other lodges where they may know people?
I ask because I've been preparing to petition the local lodge and have spent a good amount of time getting to know them.
Now I realize that there is another lodge about the same distance, but easier to get to and more centrally located where I would actually know some of the members. I'd feel like I'd slighted the original lodge that I've been visiting if I petitioned another one and they've been very nice, but would probably like to visit the other lodge(s) after a time. Input?

Last edited:

chrmc

In Texas you can become a member of as many as you can pay for as far as I know. There is a process where the secretary has to get a certificate of good standing for you, and the new lodge obviously has to vote, but otherwise there shouldn't be an issue.

California Master

A brother can belong to as many lodges as he can afford. I would caution you that you will have to keep dues current in every lodge. If you get suspended for non-payment of dues, the lodge has to notify the other lodges as to your suspension.

Using me as an example, I belong to three lodges. To complicate matters, it is in two jurisdictions(Texas and California). I have a life Membership in South Houston #1295, in South Houston, Texas. I am also a member of Western Star #2 in Shasta, California where I am a Past Master. I belong to Reading Lodge #254, in Redding, California. The two, out here in California are within 8 miles of each other.

Getting to the end of 2012, I have to start counting pennies. I have dues coming due to: 2 Masonic Lodges (CA), Sacramento Scottish Rite, Cascade Scottish Rite Club (Redding), Royal Arch (Redding), Ben Ali Shrine (Sacramento), Ben Ali Past Master's Club (Sacramento), Nor-Cal Shrine Club (Redding) and probably something that I have forgotten to remember.

All that I am saying is enjoy yourself to the fullest and best of your ability.