My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Beginning

cmoreno85tx

I posted this in the original MOT Forum but I will post it again because I deeply enjoy reading the reasons men become Brothers. And also some men out there, like me when I became interested, dont know any Masons or just dont know that they do yet and it can be comforting knowing why others joined.

I was about 19 when I first started hearing about Masonry (most of it was conspiracy driven) and then National Treasure came out. Cliche, I know but it really did perk my ears up. I did end up forgetting about it for a while and then I moved here to San Antonio when I was 21( I'm from Beeville, TX originally). I needed something more in my life and looked up Masonry on the internet. Again I found crappy conspiracy stuff but I did find some good stuff. A few cool Vids on you tube and then I bought "Freemasons for Dummies" and "Freemasonry for Idiots."

I had told my dad about my interest and he said he knew of a few Masons but thought it was only for rich white men. Until we both found out at the same time that a long time friend of my dad's and mine was a Mason. He talked to me about it and told me what it was like and about and I was hooked. This is what I needed. Though I still didn't know any Masons in San Antonio (he is from Corpus Christi).

I got on the Grand Lodge of Texas website and chose Community Lodge NO. 1201 A.F. & A.M. becuase of its smaller membership count (It was kinda intimidating for me at first). I got ahold of the secretary James Hoyo ,and the rest as they say is history. I was initiated June 9, 2008 at age 23 and was passed to Fellowcraft tonight September 8, 2008.