My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix - Inside the Freemasons

Bevan Jones

I finished watching this recent 5-part series on Netflix:
https://www.netflix.com/za/title/80240816

It's very British oriented and follows a couple of story lines within each episode. I particularly enjoyed the Widow's Sons bikers and the consecration of a new Football (soccer) lodge. These were real and interesting Mason's with character and several skid-marks in their personal driveways. Far less interesting were some of the commentators obsessed with grand rank etc. These tended to be less interesting personas, perhaps exactly because they were too concerned with their Masonic advancement.... Hmmm, there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Anyway, I think that laying a huge amount bare in the series was both negative and positive. Negative because it will turn many potential brethren away when they see the more mundane aspects (learning ritual, ranks etc.) of the Craft. But perhaps these are not the brethren we want. Therefore, it's also positive because the more enquiring seeker will see through the mundane aspects, and realise there's a philosophical journey to be had there, amidst the fellowship and mirth of brothers.

I was disappointed that it didn't delve into some of the more esoteric aspects, but then of course I remembered that these are for our own personal discovery, and would only have served to confuse the layperson anyway. Worth watching if you can stand some of the more cringe-worthy British humour and mannerisms.

CLewey44

Ive been checking it out and I hope one thing us "yanks" take away from it is how we should be "laboring" (or labouring as they may spell) and creating the same lodge experience with that much attention to detail and sharpness. From the petitioning of a potential member to his Masonic funeral and everything in between, they make blue lodge look amazimg. My biggest concern is a spike in men petitioning here and being sorely disappointed in most cases on the product they just received. I've been to about a dozen (or maybe more) lodges here and in Canada and have yet to see anything close to what those lodges looked like or were doing. I love how they do Masonry there to be honest. From clothes and aprons to ritual, degrees and festive boards, it was very much on point.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I finished watching this recent 5-part series on Netflix:
https://www.netflix.com/za/title/80240816

It's very British oriented and follows a couple of story lines within each episode. I particularly enjoyed the Widow's Sons bikers and the consecration of a new Football (soccer) lodge. These were real and interesting Mason's with character and several skid-marks in their personal driveways. Far less interesting were some of the commentators obsessed with grand rank etc. These tended to be less interesting personas, perhaps exactly because they were too concerned with their Masonic advancement.... Hmmm, there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Anyway, I think that laying a huge amount bare in the series was both negative and positive. Negative because it will turn many potential brethren away when they see the more mundane aspects (learning ritual, ranks etc.) of the Craft. But perhaps these are not the brethren we want. Therefore, it's also positive because the more enquiring seeker will see through the mundane aspects, and realise there's a philosophical journey to be had there, amidst the fellowship and mirth of brothers.

I was disappointed that it didn't delve into some of the more esoteric aspects, but then of course I remembered that these are for our own personal discovery, and would only have served to confuse the layperson anyway. Worth watching if you can stand some of the more cringe-worthy British humour and mannerisms.
I agree with your view. I would add my view that it was over produced, and contrived at points. I was disappointed in the master’s “public” response to the candidate ‘s lack of preparation

JohnXRV

Well being a Brit this aired on satellite tv over here just after my initiation two years ago. There were a few well known celebs in there especially in the episode about the entertainers lodge that meets at UGLE.

I found it informative and the lodges outside of London reflective of those I have visited. The episodes concerning candidates at UGLE based lodges were misrepresentative of my experience and that of other new masons I've met. No one goes that quickly from initiation to their 2nd here in Lincolnshire! So I felt that raised unrealistic expectations of new masons about the pace of their progression.

The provincial lodges I've visited are beautiful and the variety in their internal decor and layout is what makes visiting so worthwhile.

I find the US structure of degrees confusing and obsession with numbers hard to fathom.I know I'm only recently raised but for me I can't see a reason for anything after Mark then Chapter but then that's just based on my reading this far.

I am amazed sometimes when WMs and other officers can do long charges and obligations word perfect with feeling. That's what I aspire to and the series gave me an insight into what lay before me on my journey.

Visiting UGLE is a flipping amazing experience too! Can't wait to go again

John

MarkR

Premium Member
I'm still mildly aggravated that I purchased a DVD of this when it first became available, and they didn't bother to mention that it only came in PAL format, which won't play on American DVD players (we need NTSC format.) So it's still sitting here on my desk, unviewed. You'd think they'd have mentioned it on their ordering site, or before shipping it to a U.S. address.

And since I don't subscribe to Netflix, I'll continue to be unable to see it.

JohnXRV

I'm still mildly aggravated that I purchased a DVD of this when it first became available, and they didn't bother to mention that it only came in PAL format, which won't play on American DVD players (we need NTSC format.) So it's still sitting here on my desk, unviewed.

That's not great. What about viewing it on a PC?

CLewey44

I'm still mildly aggravated that I purchased a DVD of this when it first became available, and they didn't bother to mention that it only came in PAL format, which won't play on American DVD players (we need NTSC format.) So it's still sitting here on my desk, unviewed. You'd think they'd have mentioned it on their ordering site, or before shipping it to a U.S. address.

I've made that mistake myself before. Very frustrating.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well being a Brit this aired on satellite tv over here just after my initiation two years ago. There were a few well known celebs in there especially in the episode about the entertainers lodge that meets at UGLE.

I found it informative and the lodges outside of London reflective of those I have visited. The episodes concerning candidates at UGLE based lodges were misrepresentative of my experience and that of other new masons I've met. No one goes that quickly from initiation to their 2nd here in Lincolnshire! So I felt that raised unrealistic expectations of new masons about the pace of their progression.

The provincial lodges I've visited are beautiful and the variety in their internal decor and layout is what makes visiting so worthwhile.

I find the US structure of degrees confusing and obsession with numbers hard to fathom.I know I'm only recently raised but for me I can't see a reason for anything after Mark then Chapter but then that's just based on my reading this far.

I am amazed sometimes when WMs and other officers can do long charges and obligations word perfect with feeling. That's what I aspire to and the series gave me an insight into what lay before me on my journey.

Visiting UGLE is a flipping amazing experience too! Can't wait to go again

John
Well, I think obsession would be a strong term, but it is certainly no worse that the English penchant for honours which you will discover. And England has degrees seldom seen in the US (Pilgrim Preceptors, Spiritual Knights).

JohnXRV

Well, I think obsession would be a strong term, but it is certainly no worse that the English penchant for honours which you will discover. And England has degrees seldom seen in the US (Pilgrim Preceptors, Spiritual Knights).

No offence intended Glen

I can understand how the honours system may echo our feudal roots here
Ha ha!

SørenSweR(I)

Dear brother, it is a fairly simple task to change the region and pal/ntsc compability. Google is your friend :)

jermy Bell

I enjoyed the first couple episodes. It would be surreal to attend lodges like those in England, but here. And I'm not talking about the shows they put on at Grand lodge. But that's my opinion.

Scoops

It was a good show. I must say that the UK Masons love singing. Lol.
Haha, it's true, we do! On an average lodge night my lodge has an opening and closing ode upstairs in the temple, plus certain other sung/chanted pieces depending on the ceremony being performed, and a chanted SMIB after every prayer. Then, downstairs at the festive board we start with sung grace, and then a sung return grace after the meal. The toast to the Queen is followed by the National Anthem, various other toast, such as to the new Master at installation or to the candidate at an initiation have associated songs and then we end the evening with the Tyler's Song after the Tyler's Toast.

When I was initiated, I really didn't expect there to be quite as much singing. It really helps to cement the bond of fellowship asks is always enjoyable!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk