My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New candidate

firefighter1

I'm petitioning for membership at a local lodge. Anything I should expect as I persue my first degree?

Freemason Connect HD

stevens43

No just relax and enjoy and just listen when you go through your first degree

Freemason Connect HD

Mosaic

I can't stress this enough:

Listen CLOSELY to everything that is said around you, at all times. Whether it's during your degree or in study sessions.

Cookboy4200

First, make sure the lodge is recognized as a legit lodge of freemasonry. Don't get scammed,bro.

Freemason Connect HD

bupton52

Premium Member
How do I make sure they're recognized?

Freemason Connect HD

Always check for a website for the Prince Hall Grand Lodge or the "Mainstream" (I hate that) Grand Lodge in the state. If it's not on there, you can always check with somebody here.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Anything I should expect as I persue my first degree?

Feel free to read about Masonic history, Masonic philosophy, eminent Masons. Avoid any book that tells the story of the degrees as that will reduce the impression made during your degrees - You only get the degrees once and you don't want to spoil it. Did you ever seek out the Christmas presents and then weren't surprised on the big day? Like that.

Before the degree - There will be a time that requires patience. You will meet an investigating committee of brothers who will get to know you.

During the degree - Put yourself into their hands and trust that all will be well. Just like all of us did for our degrees. They are good men who will be putting you through a ceremony of symbolic adoption and they will treat you as family just like we were all treated during our degrees.

After the degree - There's work to be done to earn your way to the next degree.

dfreybur

Premium Member
... or the "Mainstream" (I hate that) Grand Lodge in the state ...

I have long used "George Washington affiliation". It's not official anywhere but it has always been understood. I don't think it should be official anywhere, just that it blows less than calling one set of jurisdictions "mainstream" thereby implying another set is less so.

When referring to specific jurisdictions going with the acronym works. GLofTX, MWPHAGLofTX.

firefighter1

I was voted favorable and was told to come to the lodge at at 7 pm. On Tuesday. And to be SURE to wear clean underwear. Lol now I'm getting a little nervous.

My Freemasonry

Bro Darren

Premium Member
My initiation is also this month. The WM made a comment at dinner that he's ordered the goat. I'm sure each lodge has its own way of scaring the new guy lol.

My Freemasonry

dlewis9921

You will get that. They are little far behind but I think they replaced goats with green hogs. Just kidding

My Freemasonry

firefighter1

Just made it through 6 months of rigorous mental and physical fire training. I'd like to believe I can handle anything. Lol I'm excited though. You guys are making me nervous though. My brother is a MM and he just keep asking me am I sure that I'm ready to ride the goat.

My Freemasonry