Newly Elected Senior Warden

Discussion in 'Officers of the Lodge' started by Bro. Staton, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Bro. Staton

Bro. Staton Registered User

I was recently elected as Senior Warden of my lodge. I would like any sound advice from those that has been in this position before. What were some of your biggest obstacles and challenges??

Thanks,
    Bro Staton

2. rpbrown

rpbrown Premium Member

Congratulations. I am moving from SW to WM this year (newly elected). I really didn't have any obstacles and the biggest challenges were planning for my year in the East. You should start working on that now.

3. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Congratulations!

4. Carl_in_NH

Carl_in_NH Site Benefactor

Congratulations! I'd say focus on harmony in both the greater lodge and in the line. It's not always as easy as it sounds (or should be), but it is a critical aspect of keeping things functioning and enjoyable for every Brother.

5. BroBill

BroBill Site Benefactor Site Benefactor

The first half of your year I recommend you observe- observe the work of the WM in the east, and observe the Brethren to see what their strengths and "likes" are. Try to identify anyone that looks like they may be seeking more work and more involvement. Finally observe how the lodge runs, what it excels at, what it lacks, and how the brethren react to all of that.
    The second half of the year you put all that info to use as you make your plan, matching brothers to lodge needs, committees, and your line. If you have observed well up to this point, your plan and your calendar should come together fairly easily.
    Of course, this is all a style that worked for me, but your circumstances may be different. In any case, I wish you well in your next two years!

S&F

6. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Bro Staton, Congratulations. I was appointed SW for the coming year as well.

Y.i.t.f.

7. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Congrats! My favorite chair!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

8. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

It seems to me that light flows from the East and the SW encompasses the flow and holds it in the lodge for the benefit of the brethren.

9. Pscyclepath

Pscyclepath Premium Member

I'm halfway through my year in the West, and starting to commit next year's plans to writing. SW has been a lot of fun. If I could keep any chair for an extended time, this one would be nice ;-) I haven't been challenged all that much with the exception of keeping peace among and with the Rainbow Advisory Board, but then the Master is sort of cruising his way through his year without rattling any cages.

I've spent my time studying, and working with the junior officers who will be my deacons and wardens, getting their officer proficiency certifications done, and getting them ready for their responsibilities next year. Done a bit of traveling to other lodges, to see what works or doesn't work for them. Finished out all my instructor certifications. Now to keep honing the blade and see what happens in December...

RiverRatDoc and BroBill like this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Congratulations on your election brother.

11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Advice - learn the Master's work so you can spend your time as WM running the lodge and not with your head in a ritual book (hope you have such a thing where you are at). I always tell JW's learn the first degree obligation and SW learn the 3rd - it breaks the back of the work in Emulation ritual...

Congrats..

MBC likes this.
  12. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Congrats!!

Share My Freemasonry