My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non active members wearing rings etc

Lowcarbjc

If a mason leaves his lodge because he relocates and is not active in any other lodge for a period of time for whatever reason, would it be wrong for him to still, while not being part of any lodge, wear his masonic ring or have a masonic sticker on his car/computer etc.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Once a Mason always a Mason. A brother should maintain membership in at least one lodge so inactive is not the same as suspended NPD.

Once suspended we no longer have any say. I think it would be nice for him to move on to other rings but I don't have any authority to insist.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
If a mason leaves his lodge because he relocates and is not active in any other lodge for a period of time for whatever reason, would it be wrong for him to still, while not being part of any lodge, wear his masonic ring or have a masonic sticker on his car/computer etc.

As Brother Glen said, it would depend on the rules in your grand jurisdiction. Typically, to leave your Lodge, you would need to either demit or withdraw. Until then you stay on their books and would continue to receive an annual dues statement. If you fail to pay dues for a two-year period, you are subject to being suspended for non-payment (SNPD), and would be the same as a suspended Mason until you catch on our dues, at which time you could be restored to normal status. While suspended, you may not participate in any lodge activities, and you may not wear the emblems or regalia of the fraternity.

A Brother who demits or withdraws from his Lodge, and does not affiliate with any other lodge, is knows as a "Mason at large." Here in Arkansas, for example, if a Mason at Large does not affiliate with a regular Lodge within one year, places him in the status of a "willful nonaffiliate" and Masonic communication with the at-large brother is cut off and prohibited until he changes that status by joining a regular Lodge. (After one year, the fellow would no longer have a valid dues card, and would be detected by that means.)

JMartinez

Well he's still in possession of the secrets of a mason. But the same could be said about suspended and expelled brethren.

tldubb

Premium Member
Why should they not be allowed to wear their rings? I think we sometimes take things little bit to far, and I have not seen anything ritual or constitution that says anything to the contrary. A brother in my lodge not current with his dues is still my brother. Where in the ob does it say non-active member are not entitled benefits as a MM. By the way none active doesn't necessarily mean they are not current with dues!

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Brethren, I think that this is really a non issue.

The non-active Brother is still a Mason. He can still prove via the regular ritualistic tests (grips & words) other wise referred to the "secrets of a Master Mason" that he is in fact a "Brother" even though his dues card may not be current and be able to actively attend the Lodge.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Once a brother is invested with the Secrets of masonry he is always a brother ( If he took his obligation seriously) can he attend a tiled meeting of course not , who's to tell another grown man he can't wear his own property ? He's just not on the Square at that present time for what ever reason

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Once a brother is invested with the Secrets of masonry he is always a brother ( If he took his obligation seriously) can he attend a tiled meeting of course not , who's to tell another grown man he can't wear his own property ? He's just not on the Square at that present time for what ever reason
WHAT SECRETS???? I'm a 32 degree mason and I am STILL waiting for these SECRETS?!?!?!

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
If you are looking to find the key to the Universe,
I have some bad news and good news.
The bad news is, there is no key to the Universe.
The good news is, it has been left unlocked.
I guess I should have explained. the Universe is unlocked, but they just don't hand you the secrets. You have to actually look at the Universe to find them. :)