My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Attending Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.

A7V

Can a Brother still be considered active and a benefit to Masonry if they never set foot in a lodge?

If someone does research for the good of Masonry, or things on those lines but doesn't attend lodge, is that so bad?

This came to mind about two weeks ago when I was sitting in lodge as the Senior Deacon Pro Tem and realized I get nothing out of listening to them argue over who pays the bills, and listen to the new WM try to start up a fundraiser no one gives a damn about.

I started to think, with the online world the way it is, and lodges becoming what they are becoming. Why can't someone be considered active this way?

Scotty32

This is something that is going to have to be out in the open & discussed before too long.
Stated meetings can burn someone out due to countless arguing, disagreements, or a case of apathy.
If a bro. wants to serve the lodge with a way that gives him enjoyment then it should be done. I have run into some older hats who cannot understand this concept, while there are others that believe it is a great idea.

The only thing I could say about not coming is to not go totally AWOL for a few years. Come every now and then or drop a letter to the secy or WM & let them know about your endeavors.
Just some thoughts

Wingnut

Premium Member
I didnt set foot in a lodge from April until recently, and its not a lodge Im a member of (yet). I was starting to be of the opinion with all the BS and what I consider non-masonic behavior I was that I would find the cheapest BL around, get a membership and never step in a blue lodge ever again. I was only going to stay a 'mason' so I could stay active in the Scottish Rite.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
it all depends, one of the positive points that some try to make with these one day classes that we hold here in Mass. is that the guy can not make it to lodge to get his degrees and perhaps can not attend lodge but he can do things in the background for the lodge such as web sites, investments, committees, etc. Things that do not need him to attend he can still do on his own. But that is far and between, most are just inactive.

Sirius

Can a Brother still be considered active and a benefit to Masonry if they never set foot in a lodge?

If someone does research for the good of Masonry, or things on those lines but doesn't attend lodge, is that so bad?

I started to think, with the online world the way it is, and lodges becoming what they are becoming. Why can't someone be considered active this way?

Freemasonry is a contemplative art. So by definition it is something that is done alone. That being said it is the Work that so often spawns that thought. And the only way to know the Work is to immerse yourself in it as much as possible. So often I've been sitting quietly watching a degree and *BAM* I notice something or hear something in a new way and it causes my gears to start turning.

Freemasonry is a lifelong journey. Each as unique as a snowflake. Allow yours to be incredible and follow your bliss. The most important thing is that you work to perfect your ashlar. If you are doing that, you are doing your duty as a Freemason whether you are at home or Lodge.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Doing as said above is the trick, teach, teach, teach, grab every new Brother you can and teach them work or education and show them what Maosnry can trully be and the bickering will go away in time.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
We have a PM who lives in Covvington, LA and is one of our most active members of Fort Worth Lodge in TX and he rarley sets foot in Lodge. I say go with your heart but do not base it of stated meeting as that can be easily skipped on boring nights or someone could present an awesome paper, hint hint.

A7V

We have a PM who lives in Covvington, LA and is one of our most active members of Fort Worth Lodge in TX and he rarley sets foot in Lodge. I say go with your heart but do not base it of stated meeting as that can be easily skipped on boring nights or someone could present an awesome paper, hint hint.

We used to have a Brother that presented papers about the esoteric and stuff we talk about here and he was basically brow beaten for making the meeting last to long by a few of the Past Masters and the SW who just became Master. He has transferred due to military obligation but trying to resurrect what he did every stated meeting wouldn't go over well.

Barely enough people show up. After all the office positions are filled with PM's that attend maybe 1 person is left watching.

I really like the junior PM and he is a member of these boards and Blake has met him as well, but I don't think the WM is going to work for me.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We used to have a Brother that presented papers about the esoteric and stuff we talk about here and he was basically brow beaten for making the meeting last to long.

That's a shame, but mebbe he was too long-winded. We have one Brother read & discuss an article of the Law and another gives a short talk about something esoteric. Even including doing our business our meetings generally last just over 1 hour.

LRG

Premium Member
The BL can be a great place, with only one problem, it should be 2 hours.
Find another lodge to where you have something in common with others. This will make a powerful meeting.
Most of the time i can't get enough

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
A7V
I hope you will continue to attend Lodge. Hopefully you can inject some new ideas into the Past Masters. It is hard to have a business meeting and make it intresting. Brother Jose always provided an intresting talk last year. Too bad he had to leave. You may want to pick up where he left off. You can just take your time and let the PMs get antsy. I think you will be a great addition to Patterson, we don't want to see you leave.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Lodge is a fickle place, A7Z when you find something that pleases everybody let me know! :) I know my peanut gallery of old guys grew to love my presentations but I gaureentee I do them alot better now than my first attempt b/c of the snarls I got but in the end I was the one being made the better man not them it was just an ugly way to teach me and once I got over that and just took it for teaching, they did their job and made me a little better. So I guess what I am saying is do not be scared to take a flogging from your Brothers, they will not eat you (lol) they will only make you better if want them to and let them.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

This came to mind about two weeks ago when I was sitting in lodge as the Senior Deacon Pro Tem and realized I get nothing out of listening to them argue over who pays the bills, and listen to the new WM try to start up a fundraiser no one gives a damn about.

Your attendance and participation is needed. Heck, if it's anything like my Lodge WE NEED Brothers like you. Instead of focusing on the negatives, why not turn your attention towards teaching a student, helping with floor work or other things that are much more rewarding than hearing people grumble ;)

ChrisB

I often ask myself why do I keep going to lodge meetings, when it's the same thing every month. I use to think masonry was something special. When I see the shows on history channel, or discovery channel, the movies. But it's nothing like that. A bunch of dinner tickets to sell or raffle tickets. But as I said before I'm no quitter. So here iam still doing the mason thing. I mean I can't say that masonry changed me. Because it didn't. All the things I do now as a mason I did before I was a mason. Help people out, donate stuff, help at the local soup kitchen. I can't say that, I do do something different ( sell tickets seems like every week a new one to sell ) some people hate to see me coming not knowing if I'll try and sell them something or not. I seen some of the older brothers sleep in lodge meetings. That's just like not being there. Some feel like they do their job by just paying their dues. But every lodge need every type of brother.

A7V

Your attendance and participation is needed. Heck, if it's anything like my Lodge WE NEED Brothers like you. Instead of focusing on the negatives, why not turn your attention towards teaching a student, helping with floor work or other things that are much more rewarding than hearing people grumble ;)

My post was over a year old. I can't believe you brought it up. Did you blow the dust off first?

Status
Not open for further replies.