My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NPD: "interview"

NunaBiz

Helllo All, I have a question regarding one of the protocols that I am being asked to go through to get active and back into the lodge. I live in the State of Utah for those on this forum that might know a bit more about the laws of this particular jurisdiction. I went NPD about 4 years ago and would like to get back into things. Currently, I have submitted the required petition and paid up. I am being told that a type of re-entry interview is part of the process once an investigation committee is put together at the next stated meeting, just like when a potential candidate is applying for membership.

The frustrating bit about this, which is somewhat out of my hands, is the interview allegedly requires the presence of my wife, myself, and the committee. My wife is as disinterested and insulted by this ridiculous protocol (her words), as much as she was the first time, but not really in the mood to humor this process again. Rightfully so, she thinks freemasonry is encroaching upon her personal life with this request, and she could care less what her full-grown husband wants to do in his free time. Additionally, she doesn't appreciate being put into the position of being someone's mommy that needs a permission slip to play with the boys.

I am aware enough to know the official answer on here will go something like, "Masonry does not come before the family, and for that reason, the committee members must be assured the spouse of the mason understands fully the heroic toll that will be placed upon her courageous husband's shoulders, and by association her own." To her, this interview is the equivalent of a house visit from a couple of 24-hour fitness employees to make sure she knows all the things her helpless husband might be doing at the gym, and wondering if she is OK with that.

In addition, my wife is the CEO of a successful business she built from the ground up and doesn't have time for trivial nonsense that has nothing to do with her (her words.) I love this girl because she always has the guts to say what I really think! ;)
To add insult to injury in her eyes, I been a mason for 7 years, so the girl knows the drill: Lodge once a month from 6:30-9pm, and a couple of half a@@ rituals performed probably 3 times a year for a mild-mannered candidate, that doesn't mind an old yellowed apron that was pulled out of some closet last minute because whoever is in charge of buying that stuff never does. Which is a heck of a lot better than my FC, when I was the only one that showed because I never got the call that it was canceled.
Anyhoo, thanks for your thoughts or advice.

MarkR

Premium Member
. . . the girl knows the drill: Lodge once a month from 6:30-9pm, and a couple of half a@@ rituals performed probably 3 times a year for a mild-mannered candidate, that doesn't mind an old yellowed apron that was pulled out of some closet last minute because whoever is in charge of buying that stuff never does. Which is a heck of a lot better than my FC, when I was the only one that showed because I never got the call that it was canceled.
Anyhoo, thanks for your thoughts or advice.
I have to say that, upon reading this part of your post, I really wondered why, if that's your experience in, and opinion of, Masonry, you want to get reinstated?

I don't know the rules in Utah. When I'm on an investigating committee, I always tell the petitioner that his wife is welcome to join us for the interview so she can ask any questions she might have, but I never mandate it.

NunaBiz

I have to say that, upon reading this part of your post, I really wondered why, if that's your experience in, and opinion of, Masonry, you want to get reinstated?

I don't know the rules in Utah. When I'm on an investigating committee, I always tell the petitioner that his wife is welcome to join us for the interview so she can ask any questions she might have, but I never mandate it.
My disappointment in how others treat the craft is none of my concern. I have friends in the lodge whose company I truly enjoy, and the Masonic authors of both past and present who speak of masonry through words inspired by their vision of this fraternity, have inscribed an ideal within my mind and heart that I don’t imagine will ever fade. Their words have made such a mark in navigating my imagination. Even though I see little resemblance between their ideal expressions and my limited experience within the craft, they held this fraternity in the greatest esteem. I kneel to their words, as they kneel to freemasonry. And by kneeling to them, by association I kneel also to the brotherhood which they claimed in no uncertain terms to be mans greatest benefit.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Your spouse does not need to be at the interview. It doesn’t even need to be at your home. Feel free to inbox me.

^^THIS^^
Morgan.jpg