My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NPD question related to Illinois and New York

CLewey44

I have a buddy at work I just found out was a MM up until about seven years ago. He was in the military, stopped going, traveling etc so is about seven years behind on dues. He is a member of the GLofIL but lives in New York now. Could he ever join in NY now that he is possibly settled here or would he have to pay the last seven dues to get caught up in IL and then petition a lodge here for affiliation?

Thanks,

Bro. Clint

dfreybur

Premium Member
In theory for Illinois he will have to pay the amount of back dues before they suspended him for Non-Payment of Dues. It is Illinois tradition to suspend NPD when two years dues are owing to keep Brothers from building up to the point they can't afford to come back.

In practice for Illinois his lodge will require two years of dues to bring him current even if they waited longer to suspend him, at which point he can demit or request a certificate of current standing to affiliate with another lodge.

Sometimes a lodge is generous and issues a demit for one year of dues. Ask the lodge's secretary what they require.

CLewey44

In theory for Illinois he will have to pay the amount of back dues before they suspended him for Non-Payment of Dues. It is Illinois tradition to suspend NPD when two years dues are owing to keep Brothers from building up to the point they can't afford to come back.

In practice for Illinois his lodge will require two years of dues to bring him current even if they waited longer to suspend him, at which point he can demit or request a certificate of current standing to affiliate with another lodge.

Sometimes a lodge is generous and issues a demit for one year of dues. Ask the lodge's secretary what they require.
I will let him know and thank you Bro. Doug. He is retired military so not sure if he was PHA or not, if that even makes a difference.