My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off or From?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
As the story goes here in the east, two friends were riding the train to work. Harry said to jim, "did you ever notice the conductor never takes a ticket fronm that guy wearing that funny ring. I've seen those rings in the pawn shop in Hoboken, I think I'll get me one and see what happens".

The next day Harry was flashing his new ring when the conductor came up and asked him, "Will you be off or from?"

Harry thought for a moment then replied "I'll be off".

The conductor told him he was right, he'd be off at the next station.

jrkimbrell

Ya, I can't wait to wear my funny ring, it belonged to my grandad, it has to be from the 1930's, I also have his 1929 copy of the Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
Ya, I can't wait to wear my funny ring, it belonged to my grandad, it has to be from the 1930's, I also have his 1929 copy of the Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry.

You will learn about "off or from" in the FC degree. It will be fun and you will continue to learn for the rest of your life. Good luck

H

Huw

This just goes to show how much confusion small changes in the work can cause: I don't understand what this joke is talking about either, even though I'm a Past Master several times over. But I'm English, and our working here is different: evidently this joke alludes to some words in your FC degree which we say in a different way.

Can someone explain this to me, please? (If it can be explained in a way which doesn't give away what should not be discussed, of course.)

T & F,

Huw

H

Huw

Aha! Thanks John and Bill, for the explanations via PM. Now I understand the joke. As I suspected, it refers to something which we do differently in England. In our FC degree, we have some "test questions" relating to the same secret, but we don't have the particular question which is relevant to this joke.

T & F,

Huw