My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On Yonder Book (Full Version)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
bible2.jpg

It must indeed be gratifying to know that you are at last a Master Mason, and once you have affixed your signature to the Bylaws of this lodge, you will have sealed your allegiance to the oldest and greatest fraternity in existence, one that encircles the globe and whose influence for good is never ending.

The particular reason that you chose to become a member of this grand and noble order is known only to yourself. It might have been the prompting of idle curiosity. That being true, you should now be well satisfied. It might have been for financial reasons. That being true, be at once undeceived for Freemasonry offers no financial benefits to any of its members. It might have been for social aspirations. That being true, you are now afforded the opportunity to acquaint yourself with many interesting and intelligent gentlemen. It might have been because a relative or close friend (can also name the relative such as father, brother, etc. as appropriate) is a Mason and expressed a desire that you should become one also and follow in their footsteps. That being true, it is not only an honor to yourself, but to the fraternity as well.

But, be the reason that it may, there are two great questions that still confront you. Will you be worth anything or nothing to Freemasonry and, will Freemasonry be worth anything or nothing to you? The answers lie within you yourself, for if you will apply to your own life the lessons that you have received in the three degrees, it will make you a better citizen, a better father, a better son and a fonder husband............for

In Mason's Lodge, with darkened eyes
With cable tow about me,
I swore to hale all mysteries,
That Masons keep, and Masons prize,
All brothers' secrets whispered low,
All words they speak, all things they do,
In mystic manner taught me.
On yonder Book that Oath I took,
And will I break it? Never!
But stand by this, and this, and this,
Forever and forever.
(Giving D-G and S. on step of E.A. Degree)

I swore to answer and obey,
All summons sent me duly,
By brothers' hand or Lodge array,
I swore that I would never stray,
From Ancient laws and rules that bound,
Freemasons in days renowned,
But would observe them truly.
(On yonder Book that Oath I took, etc... as above and giving D-G and S.on step of F.C. Degree)

I swore to lead with generous care,
All those in sorrow hidden,
A brother on the darkened square,
The mourners with disheveled hair,
The orphan doomed, alas, to stray,
Upon a rough and rugged way,
While tears gush forth unbidden.
(On yonder Book, etc... giving D-G and S. on step of M.M. Degree)

I swore to deal in honesty,
With each true heart around me,
That Honor ... bright should ever be,
Unbroken bonds 'tween him and me,
Nor wrong , nor guile, nor cruel fraud,
Should ever break the sacred cord,
By which my vows have bound me.
(On yonder Book, etc... giving D-G of all 3 Degrees - one with each "this")

I swore the Portals close to guard,
Of the Masonic Temple,
To rid the quarries of their dross,
To build each mystic wall across,
With body perfect, upright heart,
And mind mature in moral art
In Precept and example.
(On yonder Book, etc... pointing to Greater and Lesser Lights and letter

I swore the Chastity to guard,
Of Mason's widow, wife, or child,
His mother or sister, undefiled.
To them I pledge a brother's love,
By Him who rules the Lodge above,
To be a true defender.
(On yonder Book, etc... giving Distress sign - one motion with each this )

My Brother (or Brothers):
These are your Vows, Be they your cares.
And may such aid be given,
In answer to your earnest prayer,
That you may ever do and dare,
All that God's gracious Laws enjoin,
So that when evening shades decline,
You may be found in Heaven.
On yonder Book these Oaths we took,
And will we break them? Never:
But stand by this, and this, and this,
Forever and forever.

by M.W. Benjamin L. Hadley, P.G.M Grand Lodge Maine

bupton52

Premium Member
I heard Brother Miliken recite this at Mid-winter session this year.

Freemason Connect Mobile

BEDickey

Premium Member
This is recited at (almost) every MM degree in Maine. It is truly a sight after being raised, the room still dark, just candles to light the area. And at the last "never" everyone stamps there foot together. At " but stand by this, and this, and this," everyone, standing on the sidelines follows along. I could go on and on, very beautiful to say the least.

Last edited:

Bill Hosler

I think that is my favorite piece of ritual. When it is done well it is truly beautiful. I remember that over everything else from the night I was raised.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Ratchet

thanks for sharing, Bro. Blake
this is the first that I've read this
will make a copy & see if our W.M. will let me read it when we confer our next 3rd.

bupton52

Premium Member
thanks for sharing, Bro. Blake
this is the first that I've read this
will make a copy & see if our W.M. will let me read it when we confer our next 3rd.

I'd like to read it also. I couldn't really get the rhyme scheme. I hope that doesn't sound crazy. There was a certain rhyme cadence that I was trying to find but it just wasn't working.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bill Hosler

I'd like to read it also. I couldn't really get the rhyme scheme. I hope that doesn't sound crazy. There was a certain rhyme cadence that I was trying to find but it just wasn't working.

Freemason Connect Mobile

There is a certain rhythm to the piece. I wish there was a way to explain it on here.

Freemason Connect Mobile

scribe1384pm

An uncle of mine who was a past master in Oklahoma gave me a Okla monitor and this "poem" is in it. A very impressive piece, especially when performed well.

Freemason Connect Mobile

mkmulin

Site Benefactor
Thanks for the post. This was performed at my MM degree. It was awesome and always stuck in my head. I was always curious about it. Truly beautiful!

My Freemasonry HD

Don.riney

Premium Member
I had the Pleasure of listening to Bro James Kirkpatrick recite this as he presented the bible to our newest Master this evening. It is touching to read and moving to behold.

wedgeprime

Our Lodge does this ritual after the 3rd degree. Each line officer does one verse stepping into the light till all are in the light at the end. It really is a beautiful piece.

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

crono782

Premium Member
I had the Pleasure of listening to Bro James Kirkpatrick recite this as he presented the bible to our newest Master this evening. It is touching to read and moving to behold.

Hah yeah ol' James likes to ham it up huh? Lol he did our installation this year and it was really good.

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
The one here is different from the one that Bro Milliken did at Mid-Winter. I have it at home and will post it later tonight.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Question: The seventh verse does not have a gesture listed for the final "on this, and this, and this". Do you just stand there during that part?

Don.riney

Premium Member
Question: The seventh verse does not have a gesture listed for the final "on this, and this, and this". Do you just stand there during that part?
When presented in lodge I have seen the gestures in the 7th verse done 2 ways

the first indicating the Square and Compasses first and then the bible resting on the altar

the second going through all three signs again.