My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On Yonder Book

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
In Masons' Lodge with darkened eyes, And cable tow about you, You swore to keep all mysteries That Masons keep and Masons prize; The Brothers' secret whispered low; The words they speak, the things they do, In mystic manner taught you, On yonder book, that oath you took, And you should break it never.
You swore to answer and obey the summons sent you duly, By Brothers' hand or Lodge away; you swore that you would never stray from ancient laws and rules that bound Freemasons in the days renowned, but would observe them truly. On yonder book, that oath you took, and you should break it never.
You swore with generous gifts, to care for those in sorrow stricken, The Brother on the darkened square, the mourner with disheveled hair, the orphan doomed, alas! To stray along life's cold and cheerless way, whose tears gush forth unhidden? On yonder book, that oath you took, and you should break it never.
You swore with honesty to deal with each true heart around you; that "honor bright should ever be Unbroken bond" 'twixt him and you nor wrong, nor guile, nor cruel fraud shall ever break the holy cord with which that vow hath bound you. On yonder book, that oath you took, and you should break it never.
You swore the chastity to keep, Of woman true and tender, Of Masons' widow, wife or child, His mother, sister, undefiled -- Those pure and innocent, whose love Make Masons' home like that above; You are the sworn defender. On yonder book, that oath you took,
and you should break it never.
(The Lodge is called up at this point)
These are our vows, Brethren, our care, And may such light be given In answer to our earnest prayer, That we may do and dare All that God's sacred laws enjoin, So, when the evening shades pass o'er us, We may be found in Heaven. For, on yonder book, that oath we took, and we will break them never,
But stand by this ___, and this ___, and this ___,
forever and forever.

NOTE: The blanks in the poem are replaced by the due guard of each successive degree.

B

Brother Secretary

Both John David Smith, PM Colorado 96 / DDGM 47, and Christan D. Moore, PM Caledonia 68, do a phenomenally moving presentation of this charge / presentation. Make every effort to see it.

TexMass

Waco 92 calls this the Bible Presentation. It is done by a PM and the Masonic Bible is presented right after.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Both John David Smith, PM Colorado 96 / DDGM 47, and Christan D. Moore, PM Caledonia 68, do a phenomenally moving presentation of this charge / presentation. Make every effort to see it.

Brother Smith will blow you away. I've seen him do Bible presentation that will give you chills.

KD5NM

When done right, like when done by Br. Buddy Wigley of Corsicana Lodge it is awesome and very moving. But I have seen it done where I was kind of embarrased for the Brother doing the recitation. There is more to it then simply memorizing the words.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
How true my brother, there is more to it then simply memorizing the words, fallings should always play a big part in any ceremony.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
It was done at my raising by Bro. Howard Vann. I was about in tears when he finished! He can move you with just about anything he does, but this is my favorite. I hope some day to be able to present it, and do it with all dignity it deserves.

MGM357

That's been done a few times at our lodge right after a MM degree. Bro. Hank Debruhl from Cedar Bayou Lodge does an awesome job. It's a special treat for the newly raised brother.