Out of all the animals why a goat?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by JMartinez, Nov 21, 2016.

1. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

We've all been through the whole "we're getting the goat ready" and "hope you're ready, the goats awfully mean today" thing. So why a goat? Is it ritually or historically significant at all?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

ugurano likes this.
  2. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I don't actually know, cause I tend to ignore the volumes written on this because it really does not interest me anymore, but I guess it would be the goats association with male subversiveness and the " occult " (Templar, Masonic, etc ) associations made by writers and critics with Baphomet. But I'm keen to hear other views, I should know more about this than I do..

3. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Oh, and the fact we've been feeding this for over 150 years....

4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Tubal Cain was the god of the Kenites (Cainites) and they maintained that he was goat-footed. According to tradition, he also taught the use of metal weapons for war and taught women to use makeup.

The true MM must pass by such worldly possessions to qualify for the heavenly temple.

5. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Although it started out as a joke in an expose targeting the Oddfellows fraternity in 1845, the fact remains that the origin of what the Craft practices and the tragedy that it re-enacts both allude to goat. However, you'll have to dig deep to understand the connection 'cause your lodge education won't educate you I any way to help you understand. It is both ritually and historically significant, but it's significance to the re-enacted tragedy is even more telling.

dfreybur and MBC like this.
  6. deministri

deministri Registered User

Same here, i think is more of the Templar Legends, and the people tend to refer us to Cults including Baphomet. My father left me several templar books, but cant say i really know about the subject.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

I heard two versions of it before, the one is the same exactly as John said about the Oddfellows.
    The other one is because they sometimes refer the GAOTU as God Of All Things at that time...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  8. billyjfootball

billyjfootball Registered User

No idea. The Goat talk was also popular when I was pledging my college fraternity.

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Hazing is forbidden. Solemnity is mandatory. Jocularity happens anyways.

Near anagram for Grand Of Architect The universe.

Scapegoat was separated from society and blamed for the sins of the year. An okay metaphor for some of the worst of views by outsiders, but its also a metaphor for breaking off the rough and superfluous parts of our lives using the lessons of our working tools so it's not a bad double layered meaning. Classic hidden mystery of the sort that we can shout from the rooftops and most don't get it so it remains secret.

Billy goats eat anything. You've been to enough rubber chicken and canned green bean meals at enough Masonic functions to get that meaning, right? ;^)

Kid skin is softer than lamb skin, so it would make a really nice apron other than the fact that it's a physical error. And yet I know lodges that give out Naugahyde aprons. I figure the group that tells stories of the wild Nauga is the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo not us. ;^)

Slight of hand of the parlor magic type. Sets the candidate up to be more impressed by the story he might have already known.

Bloke likes this.
  10. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

I thought goat stood for God of All Things.

I guess I was wrong!

11. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

No I still that that's right, it's what everyone's been told here in Texas

12. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

Trust me, not everything you are told in Texas is right.

Phre-massen.nash and MarkR like this.
  13. MRichard

Several organizations use the term riding the goat. Not sure the reference is necessarily masonic in its beginnings.

14. MRichard

15. MRichard

Bloke likes this.
  16. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The only goat-footed entity mentioned in the ritual is Tubal Cain.

Interestingly the forge gods are often considered to be lame - perhaps because goat-footed.

The lame step of TC might well relate to the irregular steps of the candidate.

http://afwcraft.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/lame-step.html

17. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

True of all jurisdictions and all lodges. Brothers teach what they learned, whether it was ever correct or not. The ritual is standardized in US jurisdictions. The rest is not. Brothers also lose track of what has changed since they were taught.

I've heard all sorts of statements that weren't the case. Some jokes some misconceptions.

JMartinez, Bloke and MRichard like this.
  18. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Been a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

It's hard to break a GOAT, cause they are as awnry as hell.....LOL

20. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

Think about what them Shriners do, they got a camel called Clyde, go figure/G\

Share My Freemasonry