My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Over)dressing the part?

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I see part of the problem as we use terms interchangeably without clear definitions. For clarity I will be using as my standard, http://www.blacktieguide.com/. This is not the most in depth site but if you follow its rules you'll be good to go.

A well worn suit always looks better than a suit pretending to be a tuxedo.

edited for typo, goomba

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I will
I see part of the problem as we use terms enter changeably without clear definitions. For clarity I will be using as my standard, http://www.blacktieguide.com/. This is not the most in depth site but if you follow its rules you'll be good to go.

A well worn suit always looks better than a suit pretending to be a tuxedo.
I will confess, that when traveling, I've been known to use a bow tie and formal shirt with my black suit in the evening.

Keith C

Being pedantic: a tuxedo is not a tail coat. White tie is the shiny lapels with the tails. A tuxedo is the short jacket with shiny lapels. Morning dress is the tail coat without the shiny lapels and stripy slacks. A short jacket and stripy trousers is often called a stroller in the US.

I agree 100%.

The odd thing I have with the Dress Code of PA Freemasonry is the blending of elements from different sartorial categories. "Black Tie" is normally as you described a "Tuxedo", short jacket with shiny lapels, black vest or cummerbund and black bow tie, The Tail coat is part of "White Tie" dress, tail coat, white vest, white tie. For reasons I have not yet figured out (though it is something I want to research) our dress is an amalgam of the two, Tailcoat with Black vest and black bow tie. So while the term "tuxedo" indeed does not technically describe the dress, "White Tie" doesn't either. Everyone I have asked just says "It is just the way it is, I don't know why."

chrmc

When talking about dress code I still feel that people often forget one of the primary reasons for it, which is to put brethren on the level. If we're all dressed alike no one can tell the banker from the plumber etc. so clothing in that way helps fraternalism.

Carl_in_NH

Site Benefactor
I feel that you can't go wrong wearing a business suit and tie at lodge.

I agree. I suspect one stands out more by wearing something more casual than a suit and tie - but perhaps that's simply because of my perspective from the way members dress in my jurisdiction. I know of one officer who is very casual in another lodge. I never asked him why. Not my business. We have a PM who often is just in a sport coat and a shirt with a collar with a bolo tie. His choice and his style. Forcing him to purchase a suit would be silly, as he's retired and his only use for it would be in lodge. He's there in the meeting, and I'm happy for that.

I always wear a business suit and tie when visiting. What color / type of suit? Depends on what I grab off the rack first. Might even pick a suit based on what tie I feel like wearing. As long as it's something that I'd wear to meet with a VP at work, I don't think it shows disrespect to the Craft.

As an officer, it's a tuxedo (as defined by shiny lapels and a shiny stripe down the pant leg). Gloves? Perhaps, depending on the situation; for a GL visitation or ritual proficiency, yes. For degree work, yes. I'll even wear the tile in the East for an EA degree, as the candidate should see the Master dressed as such when first brought to light. Other than that, no, that top hat doesn't fit me all that well :)

As for me, I'd rather see a brother in lodge than have him not come because of some dress limitation. If someone shows up in shorts and flip-flops for a meeting in my lodge, I'd whisper good counsel about dressing for future meetings. If there was a good reason - like not being able to afford a polo and slacks, much less a suit, I wouldn't hesitate to admit him.

David612

My lodge has a dinner suit requirement which I think is fantastic, personally in my opinion it adds to the experience, additionally there is never a shortage of tuxs or tail coats at the local Salvation Army or other charity shops so it's another way to give back and look great at lodge.
That said I think I'm one of a select few that ties a bow tie and as you can imagine after finishing my EA degree and redressing afterwards was a test in itself.

Bloke

Premium Member
Dress here is uniform - dinner suit (those in the USA call it a Tux), white business shirt (not a dress shirt), black leaher shoes, black socks, black bow tie, and when in lodge, white gloves in addition to regalia.

It makes it all simple and I have been wearing the same dinner suit for 14 years, so it's great value and a cheap way to dress (they are very hard wearing suits with a much longer life and generally much more forgiving that a business suit).

This might all change - next meeting of Grand Lodge, there is a motion to allow lodges to determine their own dress. Still thinking on how I will vote on that. If deregulated, you see me in a dinner suit still.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As for me, I'd rather see a brother in lodge than have him not come because of some dress limitation.
Agreed.
If someone shows up in shorts and flip-flops for a meeting in my lodge, I'd whisper good counsel about dressing for future meetings. If there was a good reason - like not being able to afford a polo and slacks, much less a suit, I wouldn't hesitate to admit him.
Also agree.
Wait. You wear clothing to lodge?
***snicker***

TheReturning

Being pedantic: a tuxedo is not a tail coat. White tie is the shiny lapels with the tails. A tuxedo is the short jacket with shiny lapels. Morning dress is the tail coat without the shiny lapels and stripy slacks. A short jacket and stripy trousers is often called a stroller in the US.

This is actually good information to have! Not pedantic at all. More like classy. How many people actually know this? It's like knowing the proper way to lace odd-numbered and even-numbered eyelet Oxfords.

LK600

Premium Member
This is fascinating to me, but all the talk about long sleeve shirts, jackets (layers of clothing)... how do you all keep from becoming a puddle of sweat? High A/C bills? ;)

CLewey44

This is fascinating to me, but all the talk about long sleeve shirts, jackets (layers of clothing)... how do you all keep from becoming a puddle of sweat? High A/C bills? ;)
Crank the fans and A/C. Odds are, if there is no A/C then it's probably not in the south where it's scorching, long summers. Where I'm at, we didn't even have summer this year, just a long spring. barely hit 85 on any given day and rained half the time it seems. Plus, for the institution, I'll wear a suit once or twice a month. If I went to church much, I'd wear a suit then too no matter what.

LK600

Premium Member
Crank the fans and A/C. Odds are, if there is no A/C then it's probably not in the south where it's scorching, long summers. Where I'm at, we didn't even have summer this year, just a long spring. barely hit 85 on any given day and rained half the time it seems. Plus, for the institution, I'll wear a suit once or twice a month. If I went to church much, I'd wear a suit then too no matter what.
We have A/C that works great... once it gets going for a bit. I'm not sure it broke 95 here so I'd agree to this point its been a moderate summer. And yes, I would definitely wear whatever is required (though where I'm at suits are not seen much in Lodge(s) nor in church I assume due to heat... its FL).