My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Over)dressing the part?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Ripcord, I am medically retired from the Army for back, neck and spinal cord injury. I am 46, and on bad days, can't bend over far enough or raise my foot enough to tie my shoes. While I don't wear Velcro shoes, I do have some slip on dress shoes without shoestrings to fiddle with that I wear in my suit. Just a friendly reminder that even us young bucks may have some problems with wearing a pair of lace up dress shoes.
Oh i completly understand. But like you said you wear those slip ons. I also have a pair of those and im not injured at all.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Hes great. Hes a Past everything from Blue lodge thru AASR to include Past Deputy to the Supreme Council. Very knowledgeable but very stuck in his ways.
Retired state trooper, secretary of my Mother Lodge (since time immemorial), and guardian of the front door ("Just ignore that other room, nothing to see there.") Which is why the other lodge is so small.

LK600

Premium Member
I'm in Florida as well. The A/C works great. Besides, hundreds of thousands of Freemasons have been ostracized, banished, imprisoned, and even executed just for being Freemasons. Dressing up is *my* (we all have different ways of showing our respects) way of showing respect for them and the timelessness of the Fraternity, and if it's a little uncomfortable, it's only temporary.
Sure, I have zero issue with dressing up for lodge. But, as previously stated, I am not a fan of heat. I suppose that's strange coming from my current State lol. There are things I have issue with but no... that's not one.

LK600

Premium Member
Was in lodge last night and a PM informed a Brother that he would have to leave as he was inappropriately attired. The Brother was wearing shorts.
I have never worn anything lower than a collared shirt and dress paints. Last week I had to go home first to change out of shorts lol.

MarkR

Premium Member
Was in lodge last night and a PM informed a Brother that he would have to leave as he was inappropriately attired. The Brother was wearing shorts.
Does a PM have that authority in your jurisdiction? He certainly doesn't in mine.

jermy Bell

I've been to a couple lodges while traveling for degree work, where brothers have shown up in shorts, and Hawaiian shirts, or wearing flip flops, while seeing other brothers in suits. I've questioned about the dress code, and was told it depends on the lodge ?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I've questioned about the dress code, and was told it depends on the lodge ?
That's true here as well. I've been to lodges that seems to allow ANY kind of dress! I once attended an officer installation where the person being installed as JW was wearing blue jean shorts and a sweat shirt with the sleeves cut out!

Elexir

This is kind of intressting to read as there are diffrences.

In Denmark the only allowed dress is tails with black west and from the third degree top hat while here in Sweden its either tails with black west or a dark suit with black tie or bowtie.

MarkR

Premium Member
Minnesota leaves dress entirely to the lodge. I've been to lodges where everyone is either in a tux or a dark suit, and lodges where men are wearing shorts, Hawaiian shirts and sandals. I can say that every time a Master in my lodge has tried to make mandatory a less casual dress code, we've had brothers stop coming to lodge as a result.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Minnesota leaves dress entirely to the lodge.
Same here. One of the lodges that I belong to prohibits shorts, one doesn't. As stated in a previous post I have seen people dressed in some lodges in a fashion that I would not dress to go to the grocery store.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As Elixir correctly states in Denmark the _only_ accepter attire for loge work is tailcoats with Black vest, White tie and White gloves and dress shoes. I approve of this as it underlines the solemnity of lodge work
Well.....if that is what you like that is fine but I like the more relaxed dress code here. Most of the lodges here in Kentucky will accept the polo style shirts and slacks. Since I am the Master of my mother lodge this year and will be representing the lodge I plan on wearing a sports jacket and tie when I visit lodges that I don't belong to.