My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passed to Fellowcraft

Winter

Premium Member
Congratulations Brother. FC has always been my favorite degree. It has, in my opinion, the deepest symbolism and opportunities to study and learn. Likely because until relatively recently, it was the highest degree a Brother attained with the MM and all the appendant degrees being added later.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Passed to Fellowcraft last night along with my lodge brother (we were initiated together) and four brothers from a neighboring lodge. Great experience and the journey continues. I'm looking forward to the next phase of study. Be well and stay safe!

6 degrees in one night....impressive

Mike Mendelson

Yes. Six candidates. Two of us did our catechism (the other four had done theirs at their home lodge), then we had two groups for the degree work. It was a long but fantastic night!

Keith C

Congratulations.

We will do up to 3 degree conferrals in a single evening, for the first 2 Candidates we skip the majority of the recapitulation and lecture at the Altar after the Oath and Obligation, then they stand behind the last candidate while he is at the Alter to hear what was left out. After the last candidate is brought back in, all 3 are brought to the East for the investiture of the apron and Working Tools lecture as well as the Charge.

This might seem odd to the rest of you, but it works for us with the Ancient Ritual used in PA. Any more than 3 would be too many as we only save about 35 minutes by combining these elements.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Degrees should not be shared or combined IMHO. The degree is about the candidate or brother.

When you combine the degrees, do they still pay the full degree fee??

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Degrees should not be shared or combined IMHO. The degree is about the candidate or brother.

When you combine the degrees, do they still pay the full degree fee??
In some jurisdictions where a group go through the degrees together (sometimes called a cable tow), an increased fellowship among the brethren of the class is often reported. We also see this in AASR classes when they spend three days together (I realize some valleys only do the mandatory degrees).

In some ceremonies, only the lecture of the degree is shared.

Not all jurisdictions charge a separate fee per degree. In my jurisdiction which does do joint degrees, the full fee must be paid.

Last edited:

Nickel City Dude

Congratulations.

We will do up to 3 degree conferrals in a single evening, for the first 2 Candidates we skip the majority of the recapitulation and lecture at the Altar after the Oath and Obligation, then they stand behind the last candidate while he is at the Alter to hear what was left out. After the last candidate is brought back in, all 3 are brought to the East for the investiture of the apron and Working Tools lecture as well as the Charge.

This might seem odd to the rest of you, but it works for us with the Ancient Ritual used in PA. Any more than 3 would be too many as we only save about 35 minutes by combining these elements.
Many years ago I want to a Civil War reenactment in Gettysburg and got an opportunity to attend a lodge meeting there. They did a 2nd Degree and had 2 candidates. It was a long night. Here in NY we can put up to 5 candidates threw at the same time and if we can get dispensation we can do more. A long night is not always welcomed by the candidates or the lodge brothers.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Many years ago I want to a Civil War reenactment in Gettysburg and got an opportunity to attend a lodge meeting there. They did a 2nd Degree and had 2 candidates. It was a long night. Here in NY we can put up to 5 candidates threw at the same time and if we can get dispensation we can do more. A long night is not always welcomed by the candidates or the lodge brothers.
Interesting. The FC degree is the only degree where we bring everyone out at the same time for first and second section in NJ. Our fc degree runs just the same if we have 1 or 5 guys being passed.

Keith C

Interesting. The FC degree is the only degree where we bring everyone out at the same time for first and second section in NJ. Our fc degree runs just the same if we have 1 or 5 guys being passed.
Well, if you are in New Jersey you can't be TOO far from PA. C'Mon over and witness some Degrees over here in Penn's Woods, it will be interesting, no doubt!

Nickel City Dude

Many years ago I went to GA and attended a Lodge there that was doing a 1st Degree. My father and I arrived at the Lodge building in our coat and tie But were unsure if we were in the right place. I asked one of the men standing around if they were having a 1st Degree tonight and he said yes. I then asked where the Master was. He said see that man over there in the overalls, that's him. Coming from NY where we always do Degrees in tuxedos I was kinda surprised. Turns out this was a country Lodge and they did things a little differently than we do in NY. Everyone was very friendly and once we worked our way in we felt very much at home. It was interesting to note that at each of the stations there was an ashtray and bottle holder. I did have a little trouble following the dialog in the degree because of the heavy southern accents but because I knew what they were suppose to be saying I was able to follow along with out too much trouble. After the meeting we had refreshment and some good fellowship and an interesting exchange of the similarities and differences in our Degrees. I always enjoy visiting other jurisdictions when ever possible. A visit to a Canadian Lodge is always a treat and since I am in Western NY I use to get over there frequently but since Covid hit it has not been possible to do a visit. Just passing along some experiences that I felt you might like to hear.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The bit you saw is typical, and I would ask as the disclosure effects the experience for others. As a guest, we should be particularly careful in disclosing the proceedings of other lodges. That is one reason guests are sometimes declined.