My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passing Onwards

aw3552

Site Benefactor
Last night, 1 August, I did my second and third section proficiency for EA and got passed to Fellowcraft. The degree was a lot of fun, and there was tons of insightful information gained from it. Did any of you have similar experiences? There were several Brothers from my lodge and another one where I know people think that Fellowcraft is slightly under appreciated for the amount of information you learn. Do any of you think this way?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Last night, 1 August, I did my second and third section proficiency for EA and got passed to Fellowcraft. The degree was a lot of fun, and there was tons of insightful information gained from it. Did any of you have similar experiences? There were several Brothers from my lodge and another one where I know people think that Fellowcraft is slightly under appreciated for the amount of information you learn. Do any of you think this way?
Wait so you did ur proficiency in sections? You didnt have to memorize the whole thing and return it all at once?

Either way congrats brother! The FC is a great degree.
Btw...where do u hail from?

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member

I think at the core of undervaluing the second is due to the obligation being so close to the first and more general in nature (here). However there is just as much to contemplate in the second as the first degree, if not more, because much of it appears more subtle...

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
so.......
Wait so you did ur proficiency in sections? You didnt have to memorize the whole thing and return it all at once?
where do you hail from?

dfreybur

Premium Member
Welcome again to the family twice adopted Brother.

I liked my second degree best because I managed to understand the content of both lectures while I heard them. In both my first and third degrees I reached overwhelm and didn't absorb most of the lectures.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I liked my second degree best because I managed to understand the content of both lectures while I heard them. In both my first and third degrees I reached overwhelm and didn't absorb most of the lectures.
That is very common. We are told "The degree conferral is for the candidate" but I don't see where he gets anything of value out of the lectures because he, like you, myself, & many others, is subjected to information overload- I've heard it likened to "trying to get a sip of water from a fire hose".

I believe that the candidate would benefit more from the lectures if they were given a week or two following the degree conferral, possibly in a more informal setting. I envision the lecturer sitting with the candidate, either one-on-one or in a small group, and explaining the degree in a "memory-jogging" style, i.e. "Remember, you then did... at the altar" and so forth. Unfortunately, our Committee on Work does not allow such and I've found no support for this idea.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
That is very common. We are told "The degree conferral is for the candidate" but I don't see where he gets anything of value out of the lectures because he, like you, myself, & many others, is subjected to information overload- I've heard it likened to "trying to get a sip of water from a fire hose".

I believe that the candidate would benefit more from the lectures if they were given a week or two following the degree conferral, possibly in a more informal setting. I envision the lecturer sitting with the candidate, either one-on-one or in a small group, and explaining the degree in a "memory-jogging" style, i.e. "Remember, you then did... at the altar" and so forth. Unfortunately, our Committee on Work does not allow such and I've found no support for this idea.
That is a great Idea! In NM we can give the lectures and bible and things of the like at another time, Im not sure about Oregon, Ive never seen it done.

aw3552

Site Benefactor
I think it helps because you're having to train your mind to speak and think a certain way, and I found that when I was first learning, my mind went to mush after 3 or 4 of the longer questions. Once I found a rhythm, it became easier. I did have an outstanding coach, though.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
not knowing GLoTX candidate proficiencies I cant speak on that, but in when I did mine in Oregon my coach broke it down in parts, we would go a few lines at a time and once I could go word perfect we added a line or two until I could do the whole thing start to finish, then we would go over it and if I missed a word hed have me start over till I was comfortable enough to do it in open lodge, start to finish. EA took me a few weeks, I was initiated and at the next meeting I returned the proficiency. The following meeting I was passed, that one took me a couple months due to my work schedule. The MM proficiency was the easiest as the first part is almost identical to the other two, the hardest part was the 11 or 12 furthermores. I ended up coming up with a system I guess you could call it, In Oregon the FMs kinda go in a recognizable order and once I figured that out it was smooth sailings!

Good luck @aw2552 on your journey!

Bloke

Premium Member

We do that very thing here and it's now written into the Const as compulsory before doing the next degree. We call it "MAP" for Masonic Advancement Program and there is one following each degree. It is basically a walk through, but many MAP presenters will talk about ethics and the moral lessons taught and on the "historical" context of the degree. It's basically a 45-60 min crash course on the degree.

aw3552

Site Benefactor
I started working on the proficiency last night. It was almost throwing me off at how similar the questions were, and I kept being tempted to throw EA proficiency answers in there.

Bro. Landry

I was always told when doing my proficiency, that if you can get the first, all the rest will fall into place. Good luck bro.!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
when I did mine in Oregon my coach broke it down in parts, we would go a few lines at a time and once I could go word perfect we added a line or two until I could do the whole thing start to finish, then we would go over it and if I missed a word he'd have me start over till I was comfortable enough to do it in open lodge, start to finish.
Mine taught me the same way. The entire Texas EA proficiency takes 20 to 30 minutes, depending upon how fast one speaks (I talk kinda slowwww). Some WMs allow the proficiency to be returned in 2, or even 3 separate sections. I dislike it because, in my experience, those who learn the work in sections tend to forget the sections they have already turned in in favor of the one they are currently learning. I feel the entire body of work is equally important- that's how we teach the lessons of Masonry by which we are supposed to regulate ourselves for the rest of our lives.