My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Per Capita for Grand Lodge of Texas

How would you vote on the per capita recommendation?

• Yes

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Wait I need more time, this is complicated

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Never ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • could care less, I will go to the restroom when this comes up at GL

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I drive 300+ miles per week so that my oldest son can attend a private school, but I don't expect the school to reimburse me for my travel. How is that any different?

Last edited:

owls84

Premium Member
How about this for an idea. Lets design DDGM aprons that get handed down from person to person. Much like the Master's jewel that the Brother in Massachusetts. If there truly is a budget issue we really need to take a step in the right direction. I think at this point everything should be looked at. I know my lodge officers aprons are used from year to year and if we are spending $10,000+ on aprons then over 10 years it would be a $100,000 savings. Then you could retire the aprons if need be. You could even start a huge tradition by doing this. Each brother that wears it could sign the back.

Christopher

Telephone: $6,874.84 ($572.90 PER MONTH???)

I would say that's a reasonable number. At my office, we have a very cheap internet and phone system and pay almost exactly that per month. Putting a phone line in a building like Grand Lodge isn't like putting a phone line in a residence. I suspect they use a commercial carrier and that's market price for it.

As far as the DDGM aprons and expenses go, I think it would be reasonable for Grand Lodge to ask DDGMs to pay their own way, but also be willing to let lodges know if they needed a little help. If our WM told our lodge our DDGM was having trouble paying his gas bill, I would fork over my credit card in a heartbeat to fill his tank. I know some people have taken issue with the idea of dues or per capita increase because many Masons are on fixed incomes. The flip side of that, however, is that many Masons, like myself, could easily pay their dues a few times over. Maybe lodge dues could be set at a ballpark instead of an exact number, and let more able Masons help to cover what others are not able to, or at least set up a scholarship fund for brethren that can't pay their own dues. Maybe this is all already being done, I don't know. I just think this would help.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Thanks for clarifying the law on the legality of charging Endowed members for the per capita, Bro. Bill. I guess I was misinformed. I need to look the brother up who told me and let him know, because he was telling several people it was legal.

I do think the List of Lodges and Texas Mason Magazine could be cut considerably. They could go to online or electronic form only. With the List it would even make it updatable throughout the year. And unless the Texas Mason is going to be more then just an add sheet for GL, they might as well save the expense, slap a new photo on the frontpage of all the saved catalog pages, and email it.

I do agree about the PGM's expense. I've asked about that and with the looks I got, you would have thought I was asking about some made up line item like the water bill for the secret moon base.

The Masonic Youth Day I think we make money on. Is the $27,401.69 a gross or net amount?

MacFie

Never, ever ask about the water bill for the secret moon base man. It's all good, we heard nothing.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I do agree about the PGM's expense. I've asked about that and with the looks I got, you would have thought I was asking about some made up line item like the water bill for the secret moon base.

The Masonic Youth Day I think we make money on. Is the $27,401.69 a gross or net amount?

Brother Dave,
It's not a Secret Moon Base, it's the Lodge of Tranquility!!! :) Couldn't resist that one, I'm sorry...

I did mention to our DDGM on his visit about cutting the magazine out, and putting it online. If we have Brethren who do not have access to the internet, someone in the Lodge could print it out for them. My Father-in-law is one of them. He will read anything I print for him, or will sit here and read it online. He will NOT touch anything on the computer though. He rode to school on horseback, had more than one child when he first got a car, and has no intention of learning this. One of his most exciting things in the modern life, was when he and I stood outside, and I showed him the International Space Station as it flew overhead. He said "I saw it, I'm not sure I believe it, but now I'm done."... Many more like him, and it would save us a BUNCH of money each year. There are many more items I am sure that can be cut back or cut out as well. It will take ALL of us to get it done though. Unfortunately, I am sure we will raise our dues again this next year, to try to gain the little amount we "thought" we were going to see this time around. I just hope it doesn't run anyone off...

owls84

Premium Member
One way or the other the debate on this is going to be a good one. I really enjoy seeing that men that feel so strongly come together debate their side and when the decision is made you can walk up and say good argument.

I feel Masonry is cheap in Texas and we do need to raise our per capita but we need to learn to be more frugal with our spending. If that takes waiting another year to force the leaders to cut the budget then so be it. Either way I think the voices will be heard. Just funny to me to see a recommendation by the Grand Master requesting more money from the Lodges and 4 out of 23 resolutions that would essentially cut some funding to Grand Lodge. Just really paints a picture of Grand Lodge not investigating what the Lodges wanted before a recommendation was made.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I drive 300+ miles per week so that my oldest son can attend a private school, but I don't expect the school to reimburse me for my travel. How is that any different?

In your instance, the benefit to you is greater than the benefit to the school. In mine, it's the opposite.

The year I was DDGM, I put over 3,000 miles on my bike for Masonic purposes. I didn't even keep track of the miles I put on my truck. Remember, besides the travel in the district, there are also at least 2 round trips to Waco & one to Dallas (mid-year conference). I also spent over $250.00 in postage & $100.00 on trinkets. Compared to what I spent, an apron would have been cheap.

Last edited:

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Tonight our DDGM presented a message from the Grand Master. I love how they point out the $100+ dues in California, yet fail to recognize what the Grand Lodge of California actually provides it's members. Take a look: http://www.freemason.org

All I heard tonight was deflection, finger pointing and scare tactics. If the purpose of this message was to convince me to support a per capita increase, it failed. I like accountability. I like a game plan. I heard neither...

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Bro. Blake,
I think that is the general instruction to the DDGM's on this... At least, that is kind of what I'm getting from the responses I have seen around on the visit and discussion on the increase. I have not heard of any attempts yet to cut anything, but to continue on as is, with additional things needed (wanted), and no changes to be made, other than "tax" us for it. Don't get me wrong, I am fairly new compared to MANY here, but I still LOVE Masonry, and really think I will for a long time. I do get distressed with some of the things Grand Lodge wants, and not taking time to really get the feel of what the Lodges can do, or want to do. I would think that by now, they would have heard enough to try to make some of the changes we have suggested, both here, as well as when the DDGM's etc visit. I have not heard of anything being discussed as yet, but I may be late in hearing it. Our Lodge raised the dues $10.00 this year BEFORE we found out GL was raising theirs $10.75. Basically, we still have to add .75 per member to make it... If GL is going to raise it again, I hope we can find out LONG before we decide on our's so we can better adjust! We have low dues. It's been at the current rate for probably 25-30 years, and was due to be raised. We are afraid we may lose some over it, but it had to be done. We would only see about $450.00 - $500.00 extra for next year, but that's gone now. Our plan was to go up another $5.00 or so next year, and that will add to what we can have as a surplus, but again, that is a very low amount. If we have to keep giving it up, there is no sense in raising our's and trying to keep folks in the Lodge. Because of the increase in utilities, we have had to cut back in some of the things we planned to do, because we just don;t have the "Manpower" to do a lot of fundraising, and we don't have the folks right now who can make extra contributions. I am one, I have not worked in almost 2 months now. The shop I was working in, is all but closed, and may not make it to next year. No one else in this area has enough work to hire me or anyone else. I had hoped not to have to start driving out of the area to work again, but I may. There is nothing close, but I can get work in Austin and Copperas Cove. Austin is 100 miles away, and Cove is 130 miles. Waco is 60, but not sure of the job market there for folks in my work... Oh well, it will all work out, but it's just going to be tough. The thing is, I am not alone in my situation, and none of the Lodges are alone in this situation. There many out there frustrated with this idea, and many trying to figure out how they are going to make it much longer.
I'm done fussing for now, don't feel much better, but I'm done :)

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
What about proposing an amendment that would zero out the budget for things like, GL officers mileage, Texas Mason, Salaries for GS and other Masons who receive one but the ladies if anything get a raise at GL, PGM budget cut along with any other item that could be suspended or done away with till we are more financially stable? How do you think that would go over? I believe we will all have to make sacrifices to dig out of this financial hole and just as it took us years to get dig in this hole it will take a while to get out as well. Most lodges are making huge sacrifices now and I think GL should join in the fun.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Been looking into the budgets from 2003 proceedings (all I have at the house beside 1915) and the 2001-02 shows no salary for the GS then. It shows that there wan none budgeted in 2002-03 but 32,184 was paid out? Not sure how that is possible? Then in 2003-04 there was a proposal to allocate 24,000 for the GS pay. Seems if just 8 years ago he was not paid we can suspend that salary till we get caught up. In 2002 we also spent 22,350 on official GM visits which seems another thing we can suspend especially with the internet age. Texas Mason alone would save us a ton if we suspend that, I need to get my hands on the 08 actual expenditures, I know Josh has got that one though.

By the way we had 70k budgeted in 2001-02 for radio adds and spent 29k of it, I wonder what kinda of results we got from it and more so I would love to hear the message that was put on the air.
Also in 2002-03 we spent 9k on Video was that when the ALL was put out with PGM Jack Kelley in it?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I heard as well the GS receives a salary from the Masonic Library and Museum in addition to the GS salary from Grand Lodge does anyone have the laws or by-laws for that entity or know where I might find them? I would like to confirm or put that rumor to bed.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
By the way we had 70k budgeted in 2001-02 for radio adds and spent 29k of it, I wonder what kinda of results we got from it and more so I would love to hear the message that was put on the air.
Also in 2002-03 we spent 9k on Video was that when the ALL was put out with PGM Jack Kelley in it?

For radio ads, I wonder if since now for tax purposes we are considered to be a charitable organization, if that would qualify us to be considered a service announcement. Also one of the best type of radio ads is going up to the radio station during the morning hour as kind of a "guest" DJ and be part of the radio station's morning program as the subject of the program. The basic plan would be to have a couple guys talk on the air telling a little bit about Masonary and its history, and then maybe taking a few questions from callers or people texting in.

As for a video, why not produce a new ALL video by making it a Lodge challenge? Make it a contest. Give the Lodge special recognition for winning and/or being a finalist. The winner is voted on at GL. Then make the winning video available on the Secratary's site for download. It would make for a fun project for the lodges, be almost no additional cost to GL, and be a way to showcase some of the talents in the lodges.

MacFie

Yeah you better have those few guys talking about Masonry be very level headed against conspiracy theory idiots

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
You don't take the questions live on the air. Radio Stations don't like doing that because of the risk of langauge on the air and getting fined by the FCC. So you would have the question recorded to be played back on the air, and the "guest" hosts giving their response live.

MacFie

Danged. And I was looking forward to calling in about the Mason Occultist Satanic Whore UFO

Status
Not open for further replies.