My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHA and A.F. & A.M Working Together

lmeeks357

How u gentlemen feel about pha and 4 letter comming together as one ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freemason Connect HD mobile app

bupton52

Premium Member
Re: How long have you been a Master Mason?

Ancient Free and Accepted masons

My Freemasonry HD

It depends on if you are talking about the predominately African American groups that have assumed the right to call themselves freemasons and styled themselves A.F.& A.M. or the brothers from the GL of State where not all of their GLs are designated as A.F. & A.M.

lmeeks357

Prince hall is predominantly afican Americans correct? But yes that's what I mean pha and af an am comming together as one unit one grand lodge

My Freemasonry HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There are those on both sides who want it, and those who don't, for a number of reasons.
When I last attended a Communication of the Grand Lodge of NM, the Grand Master of the MWPHGLoNM said in his speech how he dreamt of the day NM Masons were all under one roof.
I would love to see it, personally, but I hate the thought of anyone losing their history.

lmeeks357

History does not have to be destroyed or forgotten my brother, I believe in "adding" to our legacy as masons but like my wm told me "we have to get rid of the negativity first"

My Freemasonry HD

bupton52

Premium Member
Prince hall is predominantly afican Americans correct? But yes that's what I mean pha and af an am comming together as one unit one grand lodge

My Freemasonry HD

As long as we arent talking about any GLs that have lineage to John G. Jones. AF&AM can be a very inaccurate name to refer to, what I assume you are talking about, the GL of (Insert State here) or "mainstream" GLs. Is that who you are talking about? If so, I don't see it happening but I do think that recognition and visitation in each jurisdiction would help to create a unified freemasonry.

lmeeks357

Do u get hounded by the brothers in Massachusetts ? Because with all do respect they are the "original" and u guys are affiliates correct?

My Freemasonry HD

bupton52

Premium Member
Do u get hounded by the brothers in Massachusetts ? Because with all do respect they are the "original" and u guys are affiliates correct?

My Freemasonry HD

There is no division between any Mass brothers that I know of. Also,Only the lodges are truly affiliated and even then it is only to the GL of that particular state. The grand lodge is not affiliated with anything because it is sovereign.

S&F
Bro. Byron Upton

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
History does not have to be destroyed or forgotten my brother, I believe in "adding" to our legacy as masons but like my wm told me "we have to get rid of the negativity first"
Some men I have spoken with feel that if Grand Lodges merged, some of their legacy would be forgotten. You're right that it doesn't have to be so, but it is slippery slope.
And your WM is right, the negativity is killing us.

MarkR

Premium Member
I would very much like to see the Prince Hall Grand Lodge and the "George Washington" Grand Lodge of each state become a United Grand Lodge, and it may happen some day, but I doubt I'll live to see it. As has been stated, there are a lot of people on both sides who would oppose it, for a variety of reasons.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
United Grand Lodge of New Mexico... that has a nice ring to it. But like you, Brother Mark, I'm not sure i'll ever see it.

Fifty-one Jurisdictional (geographical) areas; who will be the first to do it? Might be a good question for a time-capsule.

lmeeks357

U brothers think that the "old heads" have to die out first? I believe that's ridiculous but iv also on many occasions have heard that as well. And only having to been a mason for a short period of time I'm sure hearing the same things over and over , smh wat ever happen to the points of of profession! U brothers understand?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freemason Connect HD mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
There are those on both sides who want it, and those who don't, for a number of reasons.
When I last attended a Communication of the Grand Lodge of NM, the Grand Master of the MWPHGLoNM said in his speech how he dreamt of the day NM Masons were all under one roof.
I would love to see it, personally, but I hate the thought of anyone losing their history.

There is grass roots discussion in Illinois. Discussing unification has started happening in states that have had recognition for years. I am of several minds on the topic.

On the one hand the separation should never have happened in the first place so unification heals an old wound. The model of Antients and Moderns could be a starting point.

On the other hand the PHA lineage is now older than the United States. It's an ancient and noble heritage at this point. Should either side want to stay on their own I've reached a point that I'm okay with that.

The model of meeting "under one roof" is an interesting one. For example I've read that in Washington state the two GLs share office space. They are literally under one roof without any effect on their parallel heritages. On a less literal scale the grand lines have attended each others' GL meetings the entire time I've held Illinois affiliation. On a smaller scale my mother lodge Pasadena 272 owns our building and one of our tenants is Hiram 12 PHA. Visiting them is a matter of entering a different door upstairs and we've long held our fellowship together Tuesdays after our meetings.

lmeeks357

Old habits die hard, I believe the lessons that are taught which is subduing the passions and improving our self are not yet fully applied. This subject will always and forever will be a touchy I mean when I petitioned a 4 letter last year I got rejected because of my race and then I go to another one and they accepted me with open arms and lord knows I'm proud to be part of the canvas.