My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please leave your phone in the car.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As much as I wish the dang things had never been invented (remember the joy of not being able to be reached and not be on edge?), that genie isn't going back into the bottle.
I have my cell turned off more often than it is on. When someone asked me about this my reply is, "When it's turned on people tend to call me on it".

cemab4y

Premium Member
Here in Virginia, cell phones are forbidden. (Exceptions for law enforcement, EMT,doctors on call,etc). If a phone rings in lodge, the offender should pay $20.

Carl_in_NH

Site Benefactor
Our GL in NH will 'fine' you $100 (to be deposited in the GL charity fund) if your phone rings while they are in session. A reminder of that usually causes those in attendance to silence them at the opening.

All the meetings in my lodge start with a directive from the East before the opening begins to silence them. There's nothing worse than some foolish musical ringtone in the middle of a heated 'pancake breakfast' or 'fish fry' fundraiser debate.

CLewey44

I've seen them out to update calenders but just surfing around is a huge no-no. To be honest, it could sort of compromise the secrets of Masons and Masonry maybe with recorders and cameras on phones. It wouldn't be hard to set your phone somewhere discreetly and record a meeting or worse, a degree and throw it on Youtube or something. Gentlemen should bring a notepad and just jot things down and then update their calender when the meeting is over. A time will probably come where folks will need to check their phones at the door. My current job has a zero tolerance for phone use, so married or not, kids or no kids, when in 'labor', phones stay outside. Twenty years ago, nobody had phones hardly and us and our families all survived. Washington would roll over in his grave....

Bloke

Premium Member
I had my phone out in lodge tonight to read motions and such. Our sec was a no-show and the phone allowed me conduct the business. Later, I was using it to check the time and how that was going. ( i actually purchased a watch for lodge but use the phone in preference to the watch). If I was on the benches, I'd happily have it off, but as an officer (DC) it's a useful tool for Masonic business... and its not on vibrate ( hate that buzz in the peace of a lodge room) but dead silent and often on aircraft mode..

I run a paperless office, why not go that way for lodge business given only two brothers are not on email ? We just snail mail those guys. We went paperless years ago, being past professionals,even our 80 year olds have email; but I acknowledge paperless would not work in all Lodges, but they need to look at if paperless is viable... with 40 member x 11 meetings plus other notices, paperless saves the lodge a heap on printing and postage- a good way to get there is donate that paper and postage cost to a charity or use the saving to keep lodge dues low...

But during the degree or even at dinner, lodge is not a place to be catching up on email or Facebook....

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I know you are 17hrs ahead of me but we too had lodge last night(Wednesday), I am assuming yours was Thursday for you, and the pins you sent attened their first Blue Lodge Metting and will attend their first AASR reunion tomorrow.

Bloke

Premium Member
I know you are 17hrs ahead of me but we too had lodge last night(Wednesday), I am assuming yours was Thursday for you, and the pins you sent attened their first Blue Lodge Metting and will attend their first AASR reunion tomorrow.

Awesome :) Jim's pin (aka " the pin guy from PA") walked around the lodge room for a second degree for our new 30 something WM'S first working night. Every charge except for the secrets and tracing board was given by MMS. It was a great night :) it was 2:10 am Friday morning when I posted the above. Got home at 1:10 and needed some wind down time because I was still buzzing

CLewey44

If your lodge has a member who would video degree work and put it on Youtube, then there is a lot more to be concerned about than your degree work winding up on the internet.
If your lodge has a member who would video degree work and put it on Youtube, then there is a lot more to be concerned about than your degree work winding up on the internet.

True but not a compromise worth risking to me. Not all Masons are good peeps and slip thru he cracks.