My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Popular Masonic Author Recalls Bestselling Book In Response to Criticism Over Insensitive Title

Indianapolis, IN--Masonic author Chris Hodapp has recalled both editions of his bestselling book Freemasons for Dummies in response to criticism that the title's use of the word "Dummies" is offensive and insensitive. Brother Joe Snow, a Mason from Backwater Lodge No. 66 in Bluefield, WV aired his complaint: "See, I like Masonry. My brothers and I done good things for the community, and the local Shrine hoe down is the talk of the town. I might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I'm a Mason irregardless. And I really like Hodapp's book. But jus' because this book ain't Mackey or Pike and I like it doesn't mean that I'm a dummy 'cause I can understand it."

Bro. Hodapp did not immediately return phone calls asking for comment. His book, Freemasons for Dummies, has been lauded as "the best general book on Freemasonry any Mason or non-Mason could want." A source close to The Past Bastard who spoke on the condition of anonymity stated the book will likely be re-released with the title Freemasons for Simpletons who want to Learn about Freemasonry without all the Complicated Jargon that Freemasons Tend to Use While Explaining Freemasonry. No word on whether or not this new title will take off.

-SK Bro. Mason Burhmaster​

Continue reading...