My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing for the East

SDullinger

Brethren,

I'm a sitting SW and I'm confident that I will be nominated to sit in the East starting in January.

We have gone dark for the summer allowing me only 4 stated meetings before this year is over.

I've been planning out many of the details of what I hope to accomplish in 2018 and now find myself needing input from the rest of the lodge in order to move forward.

Is it improper for me to 'assume' I'll be WM next year?

Is it too early to ask the Brethren which if any office they'd be interested in during my term?

Thank you.

BullDozer Harrell

I guess the only way for me to begin is by asking you what makes you feel confident about ascending to the Eastern Chair? How will your stewardship report as SW look? What have you accomplished during your tenure?

Of course, my questions are rhetorical here. You need just reflect on your answers privately.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It is never too early to start to think about what should be done to improve the lodge no matter who assumes the Eastern Chair. This way you will have your answer if you are fortunate enough to be elected WM

BullDozer Harrell

It's great when you start to draft your WM's Trestleboard for the next seat while you're still in the West. You won't believe the number of Line Officers who don't look ahead to the next seat of responsibility. Neither do they reach back to guide the junior line of progression.

It seems like all that matters is being in the seat they're currently occupying. It's their accomplishment to-date.

Unfortunately I've experienced this selfish drive within my own lodge. I've witnessed one PM breeze through the line and sucked in his new seat just as he sucked in the previous one. But he was elected faithfully each year by the lodge and eventually made it to the East.

The Brother had no clue whatsoever in my opinion about what to do as our Lodge's man of authority. He's a good guy so don't get me wrong. But there's no way in the world that as WM of a subordinate lodge, a person is still struggling to perform our Opening & Closing ceremonies. (It's the same lines every time and year after year). Also it really sucks when your WM hasn't learned yet how to entertain Motions, Proposals and other routine procedural matters.

I was dying inside that year I was thinking like, dude you mean to tell me you didn't pay attention to business as you moved through our line? Holy Jesus Christ and Mary Christmas!

David Duke

Premium Member
At ours and I would assume others we have a line that gets used every year by the junior officers "If tradition prevails".

When they first get in the line most of them think it is funny that an officer should feel the need to preface a statement about future plans but as they move further along they come to understand that nothing is guaranteed and that their advancement depends on the them showing they are ready to be advanced.

That being said I commend you on your preparations for the upcoming year. I had the basic framework for my year in the East outlined by the end of my year as JW and refined that when I was SW. If you wait until you are in the East it is too late and you will spend your time reacting to events rather than enjoying the success of your well thought out plans. Remember though to get input from the Past Masters, your junior officers and the membership in general. Your plans should reflect what is best for the Lodge not what you want to see done.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bloke

Premium Member
Brethren,

I'm a sitting SW and I'm confident that I will be nominated to sit in the East starting in January.

We have gone dark for the summer allowing me only 4 stated meetings before this year is over.

I've been planning out many of the details of what I hope to accomplish in 2018 and now find myself needing input from the rest of the lodge in order to move forward.

Is it improper for me to 'assume' I'll be WM next year?

Is it too early to ask the Brethren which if any office they'd be interested in during my term?

Thank you.
More than the Team, at this early stage, make sure you think about what the Lodge needs to provide and do to prosper. Without disregarding the line of succession, I would also be looking to select and position a team who will support you achieving success.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
When they first get in the line most of them think it is funny that an officer should feel the need to preface a statement about future plans but as they move further along they come to understand that nothing is guaranteed and that their advancement depends on the them showing they are ready to be advanced.
Precisely!

Phil P

At ours and I would assume others we have a line that gets used every year by the junior officers "If tradition prevails".

That being said I commend you on your preparations for the upcoming year. I had the basic framework for my year in the East outlined by the end of my year as JW and refined that when I was SW. If you wait until you are in the East it is too late and you will spend your time reacting to events rather than enjoying the success of your well thought out plans. Remember though to get input from the Past Masters, your junior officers and the membership in general. Your plans should reflect what is best for the Lodge not what you want to see done.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

David is so right on the money as per usual. Might also want to be sure that the other 2 principal officers behind you are preparing as well. When I was in DeMolay back in the 1980s, I started working on my term as Master Councilor as soon as I was elected as Junior Councilor. But in DeMolay, most terms run about 6mos

Carl_in_NH

Site Benefactor

It's up to you to build your line of officers - at least for those who are appointed. Planning ahead and getting buy-in several months in advance is something I highly recommend. I did this, and it has served me well. As stated, it's all contingent upon being elected to the East, and that's how you approach those who would be offered appointments. You're going to be the leader - pick who you want for various positions and gain their buy-in for these appointments. In my jurisdiction, positions like Deacons and Stewards are appointments even though they are part of the progressive line; follow the order of progression whenever possible, and don't disrupt that flow unless there's a profoundly compelling reason to do so. Those Brothers should be expecting to advance, provided they are ready for the responsibility.

It's worth checking with officers in the progressive line, too - you might get one that has family matters or other issues and is thinking about dropping out of the line, or might prefer not to advance. It's best to know these things well in advance of election so contingencies can be brought into play.

Lesson one of ascending to the East; never take anything for granted.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It's up to you to build your line of officers - at least for those who are appointed.
I will be going to the East in my mother lodge in a little over a month. All of our officers from Jr. Stewart to Master are elected. All nominations are complete and now in the hands of the committee. Will be voted on two weeks prior to the installation. Only the Sr. Warden position is contested.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I will be going to the East in my mother lodge in a little over a month. All of our officers from Jr. Stewart to Master are elected. All nominations are complete and now in the hands of the committee. Will be voted on two weeks prior to the installation. Only the Sr. Warden position is contested.
Is that a regular occurrence in that type of format? What about lower chairs or is it understood to be a progressive line with the formality of nominations and elections once you get involved?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Is that a regular occurrence in that type of format? What about lower chairs or is it understood to be a progressive line with the formality of nominations and elections once you get involved?
Anyone can make a nomination before the Nomination Committee and the committee makes the final decision. The people in the chairs will most likely advance unless they "mess up" some how. For example, one of the line officers will be removed this year for missing two thirds of the meetings. This has went on for three years but he kept promising to attend regularly and he was given the benefit of the doubt. No longer.

Bloke

Premium Member
Anyone can make a nomination before the Nomination Committee and the committee makes the final decision. The people in the chairs will most likely advance unless they "mess up" some how. For example, one of the line officers will be removed this year for missing two thirds of the meetings. This has went on for three years but he kept promising to attend regularly and he was given the benefit of the doubt. No longer.
Congrats - I think this is your firs time in the chair ?

The two weeks time line - is that normal or specific to your lodge, and I have the same question in relation to this selection committee.

We generally elect our Masters in open Lodge 2-3 months prior to installation. This allows for planning but is also a requirement. I always want the vote of the lodge not less than 2 months prior - but ideally 3 months to allow planning for the Installation event as per the WME's wishes. We have one today - 6 months in the planning. Tyle at 2 pm (its Saturday here) then dinner with the ladies in a private club in the city. Looking forward to it :)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Congrats - I think this is your firs time in the chair ?
Thank you Brother. This will be my first time. I am really looking forward to it.
The two weeks time line - is that normal or specific to your lodge, and I have the same question in relation to this selection committee.
Yes, this is the norm for us. As I previously stated the line almost always advances with no change except for the Jr. Stewart.
We generally elect our Masters in open Lodge 2-3 months prior to installation.
Our line up will be voted on and announced at the meeting conducted two weeks prior to the induction.

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank you Brother. This will be my first time. I am really looking forward to it.

Yes, this is the norm for us. As I previously stated the line almost always advances with no change except for the Jr. Stewart.

Our line up will be voted on and announced at the meeting conducted two weeks prior to the induction.
That's quite different to our approach, and our Master makes the call under advice from all team members and PMs as the WM seeks, or does not seek, that advice.

Keith C

I always find jurisdictional differences interesting. I can only speak for my Lodge and what happens in My District, but the planning for one's year in the East starts with the time leading up to nomination and election as JW. We nominally follow a Progressive line starting with the JD with the assumption that JD leads to SD, leads to JW leads to SW leads to WM. However it is quite common for Deacons to drop out of the line. As an example this year I was newly raised 2 weeks before our elections and the various non elected chairs had been planned by the incoming WM. By March the JD announced that they were too busy with work and family to attend lodge, and I was asked to fill that chair. Over the summer our SD, who was supposed to have been learning the work necessary to stand for election as JW decided to resign from the Lodge for personal reasons, so come September I was asked to fill the SD chair and learn the work.

In order to be eligible to stand for election as JW you must attend District School, be signed off by a Sr. Instructor as proficient in conducting the Business of the Lodge and conferring the EA degree. You also must have approval of the DDGM in order to stand for election. Anyone wishing to be on the ballot for any elected office must state their intentions, in writing, to the WM and Secretary by the November Stated Meeting. Our officer elections and Installations take place at our December stated meeting and the new Officers are officially in their Offices on St. John's Day.

As I have been signed off as proficient, approved by the DDGM and properly submitted my name, and no one else has, I am pretty much assured that I will be the JW for the next masonic year. The incoming WM (currently SW) has been working on and refining his plan for next year during the entire 2 years he has been a Warden. At the November District Board of Governors Meeting (Consisting of the DDGM and WM, SW & JW from each lodge in the district) all of the incoming WMs had to present the plans for next year and submit them for approval by the DDGM. Next week the incoming WM, the incoming SW and myself have a meeting to review the 5 year plan developed last year by the WM, SW & JW and refine it for the next 5 years. At that point I will have input into the plan and be able to start planning for my year in the East in 2020.

We sometimes grumble among ourselves that our DDGM is a tad strict and always has something to change or add to anything we say, but, I think we have a solid group of Lodges in our district due to his leadership and insistence that we are proficient, coordinated. make solid plans and carry out those plans

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We sometimes grumble among ourselves that our DDGM is a tad strict and always has something to change or add to anything we say
One thing Brethren should keep in mind, and many do not realize, is that a DDGM is not the representative of his District to the Grand Master but, rather, the Grand Master's representative to his District- an important distinction. In my obedience and, I suspect, in most, the incoming GM holds orientation sessions for his DDGMs during which he explains what he expects of his deputies and specifically how he wants them to represent him and perform their duties. Many times, what your DDGM is doing or telling you to do is what his GM has requested or ordered him to do or say.