My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proper Apron Dimensions

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
Hey everyone, I am interested in purchasing a plain white Apron (cloth) to wear in my lodge, my question is this what is the proper dimensions for the Apron I have seen two sizes 14"High X 16" Wide the others (majority) are 13"High X 15"Wide.

the one I am interested in purchasing is the 14x16, is this within regulation sixe? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

owls84

Premium Member
In Texas, we have a special dimension that is called out by Law. The dimension is 16 x 16 with a 6 inch flap. I don't have my Lodge Law book. I think it is around Art. 273 or 274. Let me know.

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
I'd like one also for when I visit other lodges. Some of the aprons I find in lodges I visit are tattered, torn, or dirty and I feel bad wearing them.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art. 273 prescribes the regulation size for a Texas officer's apron. Art. 274 states that members shall wear aprons of the same size.

From Art. 273:

"The regulation apron shall be of white lambskin of the following dimensions: the apron shall be 16 inches square with a drop
in the bib of 6 inches to the triangular point.

Wingnut

Premium Member
The store in the GL sells some cloth ones very cheap. I know several stopped and picked some up for Bro Petcocks funeral.

TexMass

I think they should allow slightly larger for large Masons. I've seen some big guys (6' 4" 280+ lbs) look like they're wearing a postage stamp.

nick1368

Last year at the Banquet for Grand Chapter and Council, PGM Dodson ( I believe), explained that a lady had asked why in Texas our aprons at 16 x 16. He replied everything is BIGGER in Texas, therefore we need bigger aprons.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
most good regalia dealers will know the regulation sizes and styles of each jurisdiction. As well as English style aprons for our Canadian brethren. This also goes for most KT's.

question for officers of Texas Lodges, what does the regulations state on decoration on officers aprons, I know that the officers station emblem should be on the field, but what about the flap. Here in Mass, some are plain, others have the lodge emblem, some have the date of institution, and some others can have the all seeing eye.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
"It will be permissible to have embroidered upon the bib of the apron the appropriate jewel of the office and upon the body of the apron below the bib, the square and compasses circumscribing the letter 'G.' The outside edge of the apron shall be bordered with blue silk velvet or braid, one inch in width, and the bib with the same material one-half inch in width." - from Art. 273

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
It might require some sort of special despensation from the Grand Master or have been covered in a Grand Master decision, but I can't find anything in the Law book on it.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
bigpic.inq

This is the aprons we have and they are from JP Luther titled TX Officer aprons. Not that this will make them legal but I am curious now if they are illegal?

Pic did not work so I added this link below our aprons are BN-16-1

http://www.jpluther.com/swhat.inq?sdrop=APTP&sprimary=AP&ssecondary=TP

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
From how Art. 273 reads, I would say those are not Texas legal, since the article only states that the officer jewel permissible to be on the bib and that the square and compasses on the body. BN-16-1 has the officer jewel on the body and the eye on the bib.

Now that being said, I know that the Tranquility Lodge 2000 has special aprons that have been approved by Grand Lodge. http://tl2k.org/aprons.htm

So your Lodge might need or have obtain permission from Grand Lodge at the time they were decided on.

owls84

Premium Member
Personally I am willing to bet there are Lodges all over the state that have illegal aprons. And I for one will not stand for it. Who will join me to bring down all of the apron violators? I won't stop till everylast one has a form 1 filed on them. Who's with me!?!

This like many others is an article that should be re-examined for it's need. What is the purpose and what are the costs that are added when a Lodge must buy 16x16 aprons. Why mandate this? Why not allow the Lodges decide the Lodges need. This is one that I would like to see the grand proceedings on why this was changed. I for one would like to see Aprons of all sorts and decorated to express ones self. The put the internal on the external if you will.