My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing and wearing your own apron.

Keith C

We give our outgoing WM a PM lapel pin. We have a WM's square lapel pin that gets handed down. At the annual installation, there is a pin swap. The outgoing guy takes off the square pin and puts it on the new guy after he is installed, and then the new WM presents the outgoing guy with his on PM pin.

We do the same at our lodge, with the PM receiving the lapel pin, jewel and PM apron. Apparently a few years back they had an issue with the supplier of the PM Apron, so at February's stated meeting we took a vote authorizing the purchase of the PM jewel and apron for our current WM who was just installed in December.

I am up in the air about wearing a personal apron at lodge meetings. One of the brothers who went through the degrees along the same time-line as me showed up at a stated meeting with his own, rather elaborate (compared to the Lodge's) apron. He explained that he wanted to look his best and not wear the "crummy" aprons everyone else, excepting Officers and PMs wear. A more senior brother over heard him telling us this and was a bit upset, saying "Here we meet on the level, the lodge's apron are worn from the honorable work of Masons."

I can see both points. On the good side, we have new Lodge aprons on order, so they will not look "crummy" for a while.

Bloke

Premium Member
We do the same at our lodge, with the PM receiving the lapel pin, jewel and PM apron. Apparently a few years back they had an issue with the supplier of the PM Apron, so at February's stated meeting we took a vote authorizing the purchase of the PM jewel and apron for our current WM who was just installed in December.

I am up in the air about wearing a personal apron at lodge meetings. One of the brothers who went through the degrees along the same time-line as me showed up at a stated meeting with his own, rather elaborate (compared to the Lodge's) apron. He explained that he wanted to look his best and not wear the "crummy" aprons everyone else, excepting Officers and PMs wear. A more senior brother over heard him telling us this and was a bit upset, saying "Here we meet on the level, the lodge's apron are worn from the honorable work of Masons."

I can see both points. On the good side, we have new Lodge aprons on order, so they will not look "crummy" for a while.
Our MM and PM aprons are owned by the individuals who wear them bit all uniform, the only difference being condition of the apron.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I have only been an MM for two and a half years but have visited a lot of lodges. I have never seen a Brother wear a personal apron at a business meeting or even an EA, FC, or MM ritual. I have seen them worn at special events such as the opening of a new lodge.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We initiated 2 gentle men last year and they both wear their White Lambskin apron to meetings
I would like to wear a personal apron to lodges that I visit but, for reasons already stated, I would stick out like a sore thumb. For whatever reason it is just not something that is done in this area.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I would like to wear a personal apron to lodges that I visit but, for reasons already stated, I would stick out like a sore thumb. For whatever reason it is just not something that is done in this area.
Alot of older Freemasons think that the only time ur supposed to wear the apron presented to you is at your initiation and in the grave(the litteral not symbolic). However im of the thought that when you wear that apron and it gets stained and tattered over the years those marks are the marks of your labors and when you get to the celestial lodge above from which no man returns and St Peter sees the wear and tear he will know you labored hard for you fellow man!

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother_Steve

Premium Member

I have no issue with a brother wearing his own apron so long as it is the same as the other sideliners or is within the code of the constitution of that jurisdiction, if applicable. If I showed up with a UGLE MM apron in my New Jersey lodge, I would not be properly clothed.

Bloke

Premium Member
i disagree. If ur a member of NJ then yes thats correct. But if I as a Member of OR showed up in NJ with my apron I would indeed be properly clothed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Depends on the rules within the Const, but here, your statement is correct Rip.... but it's not reinforced much, I like one or two different aprons (and "movements") - it shows brothers that while the values are universal, the customs are not.

Keith C

I have no issue with a brother wearing his own apron so long as it is the same as the other sideliners or is within the code of the constitution of that jurisdiction, if applicable. If I showed up with a UGLE MM apron in my New Jersey lodge, I would not be properly clothed.

I agree with this. The apron in question in my post is much more ornate that the ones the Lodge has, the colors are correct but it has a very ornate embroidered S&C, IMO it screams "Look at ME!"

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
IMO it screams "Look at ME!"
Same here since, as I previously noted, I have not seen one visiting Brother wear a personal apron. I wish that it was different. I would like to wear one of my choosing as long as it conformed to regulation.

David Duke

Premium Member
I wear my personal Past Master
apron when I visit other Lodges, I am secretary at my home lodge and must wear the appropriate apron so I take the opportunity to show a little foolish pride.

Regulation PM aprons in Texas (which mine is) are not extremely ornate although there are those who wear non regulation.

David Duke
Secretary
Sam B Crawford #1418
New Caney, TX

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I wear my personal Past Master
apron when I visit other Lodges, I am secretary at my home lodge and must wear the appropriate apron so I take the opportunity to show a little foolish pride.

Regulation PM aprons in Texas (which mine is) are not extremely ornate although there are those who wear non regulation.

David Duke
Secretary
Sam B Crawford #1418
New Caney, TX
David, it is not about foolish pride. It is being recognized for the office. Can you feel pride while wearing the apron? Yes. Just don't get too cocky!

grayflannelsuit

Premium Member
For my raising coming up in a few days, I was told to bring the apron presented to me when I was initiated. I was a bit surprised by that as I have been told I wouldn't be wearing it again until death.