My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Chaplain

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
My jurisdiction looks like this when it comes to seniority.

WM
SW
JW
Treasurer
Secretary
Chaplain <-- Is there a ritual reason why he is this high up on the chain?
Sr D
Jr D

SimonM

In my jurisdiction the Chaplain is just after the WM, SW and JW in rank, above treasurer and secretary.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
In my jurisdiction the Chaplain is just after the WM, SW and JW in rank, above treasurer and secretary.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Same as yours in UGLE.

WM (elected)
SW
JW
IPM (if any) (by virtue)
Chap
Trea (elected)
Sec

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I'll look into the rankings again to make sure I'm not mistaken. I'm just wondering why that chair is that high up on the list, unless jamesthejust answered it.

Zack

My jurisdiction looks like this when it comes to seniority.

WM
SW
JW
Treasurer
Secretary
Chaplain <-- Is there a ritual reason why he is this high up on the chain?
Sr D
Jr D
In my jurisdiction the Chaplain is appointed, maybe it a simple matter of alphabetical order??

SimonM

In my jurisdiction the Chaplain is appointed, maybe it a simple matter of alphabetical order??
Rank is not awarded in alphabetical order, it is awarded for the work done. I agree with James explaination, the Chaplain is connected with the VSL.

SimonM

Then accordingly, the Secretary should come first.
I agree, if we look at the amount of work done! :)

However, the lodge could in theory work without the administration done by a secretary. To work without a VSL (and the Chaplain as a representation of it) is not possible. Thus the Chaplain should have high rank.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The WM, Wrdns. Treas and Sec are elected. Chaplain is appointed in both my jurisdictions. And in neither is it required to open....

EDIT:to show clarity that neither jusidiction requires the chaplain to open or close

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Last edited:

SimonM

The WM, Wrdns. Treas and Sec are elected. Chaplain is appointed in both my jurisdictions. And in neither is it required to open....

EDIT:to show clarity that neither jusidiction requires the chaplain to open or close

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Fair enough. My point was just to show that even though the Sec does alot of work, most of it is not important to the work and because of that does not have to have a high rank.

chrmc

I have to interject that to me it doesn't make sense to talk about ranks in the lodge at all.

Some officers are appointed, and some officers are elected. And in many jurisdictions we have a progressive line that takes you through various stations to learn what you need to know to be WM.

But there's isn't a rank. There's one WM and he is the man in charge. If he's out the SW protemps and becomes the WM. Otherwise all brethren and officers are on the level.

Canadian Paul

In lodges under the Grand Lodge of Scotland a lodge can have any office that exists in Grand Lodge. Most have a more limited selection. My lodge has, in order of precedence; Right Worship Master, Immediate Past Master, Depute Master, Substitute Master, Worshipful Senior Warden, Worshipful Junior Warden, Secretary, Treasurer, Almoner, Director of Ceremonies, Chaplain, Senior Deacon, Junior Deacon,Bible Bearer, Organist, Piper,Inner Guard, Tyler,Senior Steward, Junior Steward. All are elected except for the IP Master, whose Office is his by right, and the Depute and Substitute Masters, who are appointed by the Master.

As I have noted before, the Scots do things differently!

Bloke

Premium Member
I have to interject that to me it doesn't make sense to talk about ranks in the lodge at all.

Some officers are appointed, and some officers are elected. And in many jurisdictions we have a progressive line that takes you through various stations to learn what you need to know to be WM.

But there's isn't a rank. There's one WM and he is the man in charge. If he's out the SW protemps and becomes the WM. Otherwise all brethren and officers are on the level.

I tend to agree. We are talking about Officers, but not "ranks", although some of those offices have a rank attached to them in the precedence given at our Grand Lodge (realizing this will vary from Const. to Const.). The offices which have ranks attached to them are WM, (and by virtue IPM), SW and JW. WM has "WBro" attached to his name which is retained after leaving that office, but SW and JW are only noted as MM without enduring post or prenominals attached.