My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Texans

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
It's been my observation that Texans, by and large, are quite proud of being "country", or at the very least "not city". Why is it, then, that I've found very few Texans who won't turn their nose up at kidney, trotters, maw, jowls, sweetbreads, tripe, and all those other amazingly tasty parts of the animal that city folk tend to pretend don't exist?

Have I just run into a lot of Country Kings of the Food Court?

dfreybur

Premium Member
Are there city places that serve these wonderful food ingredients? I may be a recent import but I'm all for eating more parts of more critters. Of your entire list the only one I know where to get is tripe in menudo.

JJones

I haven't tried any of those except maybe tripe once. I'm open to the idea, I like trying new things, it's just I don't ever go places that serve anything on your list.

I keep telling myself I'll try liver one day, I just haven't felt brave enough yet.

crono782

Premium Member
Good question. I grew up out in the sticks and lived in TX all my life. I consider myself about 50/50 country/city. I dunno, I've eaten pretty much everything on that list. Maybe not jowls. I think most "country" Texans are just too complacent culinary-wise. Gotten too used to chicken fried steak and Tex-Mex. :p